NE Cherry

Ted Calver

Staff member
Just one more while the photo tent is set up. This Cherry NE is about 14" x 7" and is finished with several coats of Formby's tung oil finish from an old can I was trying to get rid of. I was afraid it wouldn't dry, but it worked OK and I knocked off the gloss with some superfine synthetic steel wool and Ren waxed it. The foot was added to give it some lift, but I'm not sure about it. There's something about having the structure of a foot, at least this kind of foot, on a NE that doesn't quite jive with me. The blank was starting to get punky under the bark and there was a yellow colored fungus living in one spot that still shows a little. Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Attachments

• cherryNE-3 (Medium).jpg
    cherryNE-3 (Medium).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 20
  • cherryNE-10 (Medium).jpg
    cherryNE-10 (Medium).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 21
  • cherryNE-7 (Medium).jpg
    cherryNE-7 (Medium).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 25
Nicely done. Ted. Form and finish are great. :thumb: I'm kind of with you in preferring non-footed NE bowls, but I think this one would have worked better with a less prominent foot.

Thanks for the kind words folks. Someday when I'm feeling brave/foolish I'll put this one back on the lathe and reduce that foot. It will look better then.

First, great looking sample of a NE, your choice of wood is great!! Foot...ehhh...stepped feet are a gamble. The size is great and so is the wood. Well done Ted!!