What am I doing Here?

Ron Roase

I don't really belong here with my turnings,as I have seen alot of the fine work you all do down here in lathe land. I am not up to the rest of you spinning guys. I am more comfortable in flat land. But I used to turn a few years ago and I just got a new turning tool. Made by EasyWood. Its their medium finisher. Saw the DVD and had to try it.Just a small lidded box,that I turned from a cut off of a Maple post. The lid from a Maple drawer that I had cut down for my son and a scrap of Walnut for the knob.:dunno:
Small lided Box 1.JPG
Small lided Box 2.JPG
Small lided Box Uncovered.JPG
Finish is just shalac and beal buffed
Its been a long time since I made that much of a mess with such a small project. But it was fun anyway. Will just give it to someone when tey arn't looking so as they wont throw it at me.:rofl::rofl:

I am glad you had fun. That is what turning does. People like Larry will tell you otherwise because they don't want you to have fun.:rofl:

BTW, nice box. You should turn more often.:thumb:

That's what it's all about Ron...what do you like about your piece...what don't you like?...what are you going to make next!!! I think you did a fine job..I don't own any, but I hear Easy Wood tools are good stuff! Thanks for posting!:thumb:

Last edited:
well ron, we wont throw you out on your ear for going back for alittel taste of the messy spinny world:) we know your a flat land guy at heart:) nice box and i am sure your gonna find a good home for it:)

I am definitely NOT a "natural" wood turner like my son, Glenn. I sort of plugged along getting less bad as time went by. Vaughn had me try his EW Finisher on a medallion (while standing on a pallet so I could reach his woodlathe). I was still lousy, but felt like I had so much more control.

Anyway I worked up my nerve and purchased an EW Rougher. Suddenly I could create a cylinder in a fourth the time I needed with a spindle roughing gouge---and it was a much better cylinder. Glenn played with it and liked it. The next holiday I received a EW Finisher from Glenn and the last holiday I got a pointy EW Detailer. I've got to keep that kid!

If that detailer was skinny all the way up, it would make a fantastic cut-off tool. It goes into rock hard maple like it was warm butter. As it was I made a whole bunch of rock hard maple spaghetti because it was so much fun watching it peel off of the work piece. I made a couple floating rings for the same reason. A couple kids thought the rings were pretty neat. I figured that they could not smoke them or inject them so I gave them away. The detailer was the tool that made the rings on the mallet that showed up a few days ago on FWW.

I don't know how long the tools will stay sharp. After many months I have gone to position two on the Easy Rougher cutter head.

After using the Easy Wood tools, I find that I am better with regular gouges. I just play with the gouges. If I am making something I use the EWs.

Enjoy,

Jim