Reading Glasses Case

Tom Kovalcik

A few months ago while surfing the web, I stumbled across plans for a lathe turned reading glasses case. I had no interest at the time, so I moved on. Now I have a need of those plans, but cannot find them. Has anybody come across plans for a reading glasses case or made something similar? If I remember correctly it was simply a cylindrical box with a friction fit lid.

I remember looking at the dimensions and thinking that they were smaller than I would have guessed which is why I am looking for a plan rather making it from eye. I want it as compact as possible.

Thanks for any help.

I haven't seen the plans for that, but it seems like it'd be pretty easy to determine the necessary diameter. You could cut a few various sizes of round holes in a piece of cardboard, and base the inside diameter of the case on the hole the glasses will fit through.

Hi,

Two quick thoughts.

1) Almost any pair of glasses will fit through a hole in a piece of cardboard that is much smaller than the diameter cylinder needed. The ends of the temples (that's techie for the earpieces) protrude out in some unusual ways that will permit dropping through a hole---but be bound by a cylinder. (TP roll anyone?)

One of the big causes for glasses becoming loose is a glasses case that puts pressure on the temples when the case is closed.

Hi,

Two quick thoughts.

1) Almost any pair of glasses will fit through a hole in a piece of cardboard that is much smaller than the diameter cylinder needed. The ends of the temples (that's techie for the earpieces) protrude out in some unusual ways that will drop through a hole---but be bound by a cylinder. (TP roll anyone?)

One of the big causes for glasses becoming loose is a glasses case that puts pressure on the temples when the case is closed.

2) How about turning an oval case? I have seen things on the web and I think in some magazine, about how to turn an oval on the woodlathe. The oval configuration would permit a smaller case. That is because glasses frames tend to be smaller front to back than top to bottom.

Go to an optical place or WallMart (or similar) and look at glasses cases---Especially the cases that are hard material and the glasses are slipped in from the end.

If you can come up with a usable design they should be a real treasure to the owner.

In some glasses/frame relationships the lenses may protrude enough that they will rub against the inside of the case and be ruined.

Enjoy,

Jim

Has anybody come across plans for a reading glasses case or made something similar? If I remember correctly it was simply a cylindrical box with a friction fit lid.

The "Turning Wood" column in the April/May 2011 issue of American Woodturner is an article by Alan Lacer called Reading Glasses Case. (Pages 44-47) I agree ... it looks too small to fit glasses inside, but the pair in the "cover shot" is pretty narrow in the lens.

At the end of the article it says, "To see more of Alan's work visit www.alanlacer.com." Let's see if that works....

Nope; this particular article hasn't been posted there yet. I wonder where your original "hit" was? :dunno:

Yes I am an idiot. :p I subscribe to AW, and that must be where I saw it. Could have sworn it was online. :huh: When I get home from work I will look it up.

Thanks

Correction: Now I am a double idiot. I read American Woodworker not turner. So the search is still on. I might see if I can dig up the American Woodturner issue though.

Last edited: