G&G Styled Hallway Frames - Done

glenn bradley

I call them hallway frames since they hold pictures small enough to be viewed at close range like in a hallway(?). Three 4x6 pics will fit in these.

frame-3-4x6-color.jpg

Grab some scrap out of the bin and mill square.

a-frame-3-4x6.jpg

I set the fence for 3/4" longer than the pieces I am going to cut.

b-frame-3-4x6.jpg

Add a stop block of a known 3/4" thickness.

c-frame-3-4x6.jpg

I always make ZCI's in batches so I will have a fresh one when I want it; they last through many projects but, for these items I decided it was time to replace. Use the fence stop block for the long cuts. Put a stop block on the sled and do the small cuts to length.

d-frame-3-4x6.jpg e-frame-3-4x6.jpg f-frame-3-4x6.jpg

Yet another type of cut that the Grr-Ripper makes safe and comfortable; ripping the 7/8" x 1/4" parts for the trim

g-frame-3-4x6.jpg

And in a little less than an hour, you have a batch of parts for four frames, two mahogany and two walnut. So . . . why is it that it takes me almost two months to make a bookcase???

h-frame-3-4x6.jpg

Alas, you also end up with a smaller bunch of scraps . . . .

i-frame-3-4x6.jpg

These are great for details like wooden knobs, hinges, miter splines, plugs . . . . or eventually, kindling :thumb:

Last edited:
Popcorn-10-George-Costanza.gif

Work has been slowing me down . . . . but, I do like the paycheck. Anyway, got some time to shape and sand tonight. Here's a shot of one of each dry-fit. the parts for one more of each are in the background. The notches in the ends of the rails accept some detail elements similar to these.

Attachments

• j-frame-3-4x6.jpg
    j-frame-3-4x6.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I wanted to at least get these four through final sanding and glued up. There's one left in the clamps but, I'm off to mom and dad's tomorrow so I'm done for the night.

The overkill-looking clamp job uses the bench top as a reference surface assuring all the parts line up along the back plane. The mortise and tenons take care of making the rails and stiles perpendicular to each other.

These are fairly small at about 21" long. Evenings after work next week I will cut the rabbets for the glass and backer panels for the three 4x6 photo openings. The lower walnut frame in the second pic shows the rear and the keyhole slots. It also shows where I had to plug two holes where I started the piercings in the wrong positions :eek:. Good thing that's on the back :thumb:

The small strips will be shaped into the trim pieces that get epoxied into the ends of the rails; figured walnut pieces for the walnut frames and goncalo alves pieces for the mahogany frames.

Attachments

• l-frame-3-4x6.jpg
    l-frame-3-4x6.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13
  • k-frame-3-4x6.jpg
    k-frame-3-4x6.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My usual apologies for the camera work. Its just something that escapes me . . .

Attachments

• 3-4x6-done-3.jpg
    3-4x6-done-3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 3-4x6-done-1.jpg
    3-4x6-done-1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 3-4x6-done-2.jpg
    3-4x6-done-2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 18
looks good glenn,, now what is in that tray it looks like wood samples???

Thanks Larry. the little wood pieces should go into the kindling box. They have been laying around since an ill conceived idea about labeling drawers.

lable-in-use.jpg

The little pieces have a shallow dovetail cut into them that holds a label. Worked OK for a few drawers on the metal tool box with a magnet glued to the backs but, overall; more trouble than they were worth.