Thread: Turkey Calls and stirkers

Turkey Calls and stirkers

Here is a few pics of some turkey calls from last year. One call is of walnut and quilted maple. The other is boxelder with a thumbnail cherry lid. The srikers are blackwood and snakewood, the other cherry and cocobolo.

Richard Smith Guest
    I'd think any tom would be proud to answer that!

Neat strikers. What do you strike them on?
    I would like to make slate strikers but the availability of thin slate in reasonable quantities is a problem.
    Also, cutting the slate to shapes and sizes desired is problematic.

Frank, I have a good friend who has invented a new style of turkey call. This is a 'slate' type call- but doesn't employ slate. He is quite the accomplished flint knapper. Some of his calls look like a large arrowhead but with one side flat. Other models are shaped like a turkey feather. They are made from stone from all over the world. He has a bank of diamond saws in his workshop for slicing the stone into slabs. Amazingly you can vary the pitch of the call quite a lot by manipulating another stone attached too the call and by choosing where on the call you scratch. They aren't cheap. He also makes a turtle-shell turkey call. That call uses the shell of a box turtle as an amplifier. If you want to look at them they are on artofishi.hypermart.net
    If you are looking for a 'slate', I would try to find a local lapidary shop that sells slabbed stone. I have found that almost any stone 1/8" to 1/4" thick will make nice turkey talk. I have a piece of petosky stone that sounds real nice. Take a striker along and test drive a few rocks. You can grind a lot of stone types on a pedestal grinder- just wear good eye protection(face shield) and a respirator............Oh, and another thing, if you happen to call in a nice tom and miss him with yer shootin iron, you can always bonk him with the rock..I mean call, in yer hand.