Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Tool Chest

Another Tool Chest

I wasn't going to post this, as it's similar to one I posted in this thread, and there wasn't much interest in it. I encourage comments both constructive and demeaning. If you think they are a POS, say so and offer suggestions on how they can be improved.

Mike I missed the first post, but not this one, I very much like your tool chest, simple, but it looks great and I' sure it will provide a nice safe home for tools for a long time to come!

Is this for mechanics tools, or woodworking, or...?

The design looks like it would work for just about anything.

What kind of finish do you put on them?

Full extensions slides, are they the kind the self close, or lock in the out position?

No handles on the sides, will you add them or is the lip on the side enough to get a good hand hold to lift the tool chest?

Again, very nice work, keep them coming, and I'll go and check out the first one you posted
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Mike I think it's an Awesome Chest for a Modern built , I like the finger pulls and easy slide. I want one LOL
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

mike i think there was some interest but there arent many folks doing wood work lately as you can see from the posts here.. lathe work yes flat no.. so we are in the minority.. and i too am curious about the handles??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I like this one too. I was wondering about the other though. The top edge of the top drawer looks curved. Is that the actual design or is it the digital photo? (Sometimes the lens you use to take the photo will distort the image.)

I am curious could you show what router bits & the sequence you used them in to make the handles. This is something I don't have a lot of experience in, so it would be a great help. Also is there a set of plans for this box? Thanks.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 07-11-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I'll try to answer all the questions.

Some angles when photographed look like there's a curve, but that's an illusion.

The finishes are a waterbased polyurethane.

The side frames are more than adequate to pick up the chest.

The slides are ordinary full extension slides. They do have a detent to keep them shut.

They have been used for a variety of things, like drafting and precision tools, jewelry, etc.

The drawer handles can be done with a "finger grip" router bit, similar to this.

The design was my own, I used no plans. It's a fairly simple project to make.

so what is the indent on the side mike to grip on 3/8" or more than that? looks like it could be more but yu need room to have the slides work right too???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    so what is the indent on the side mike to grip on 3/8" or more than that? looks like it could be more but yu need room to have the slides work right too???
    It's varied from 1/2" to 3/4". I used 1/4" Oak ply for the panels on the side. On some I've rabbeted them to the frame, on others the 1/4" panel covered the entire frame on the inside.

The slides screw to the front and rear stiles of the frame.

Since I'll never be able to do that...it's a work of art IMHO.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots