Another Tool Chest

mike marvel

I wasn't going to post this, as it's similar to one I posted in this thread, and there wasn't much interest in it. I encourage comments both constructive and demeaning. :rofl: If you think they are a POS, say so and offer suggestions on how they can be improved.
darkboxa-1.jpg

darkboxb-1.jpg

darkboxc-1.jpg

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Mike I missed the first post, but not this one, I very much like your tool chest, simple, but it looks great and I' sure it will provide a nice safe home for tools for a long time to come!

Is this for mechanics tools, or woodworking, or...?

The design looks like it would work for just about anything.

What kind of finish do you put on them?

Full extensions slides, are they the kind the self close, or lock in the out position?

No handles on the sides, will you add them or is the lip on the side enough to get a good hand hold to lift the tool chest?

Again, very nice work, keep them coming, and I'll go and check out the first one you posted :wave:

mike i think there was some interest but there arent many folks doing wood work lately as you can see from the posts here.. lathe work yes flat no.. so we are in the minority.. and i too am curious about the handles??

I like this one too. I was wondering about the other though. The top edge of the top drawer looks curved. Is that the actual design or is it the digital photo? (Sometimes the lens you use to take the photo will distort the image.)

I am curious could you show what router bits & the sequence you used them in to make the handles. This is something I don't have a lot of experience in, so it would be a great help. Also is there a set of plans for this box? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'll try to answer all the questions.

Some angles when photographed look like there's a curve, but that's an illusion.

The finishes are a waterbased polyurethane.

The side frames are more than adequate to pick up the chest.

The slides are ordinary full extension slides. They do have a detent to keep them shut.

They have been used for a variety of things, like drafting and precision tools, jewelry, etc.

The drawer handles can be done with a "finger grip" router bit, similar to this.

The design was my own, I used no plans. It's a fairly simple project to make.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

so what is the indent on the side mike to grip on 3/8" or more than that? looks like it could be more but yu need room to have the slides work right too???

It's varied from 1/2" to 3/4". I used 1/4" Oak ply for the panels on the side. On some I've rabbeted them to the frame, on others the 1/4" panel covered the entire frame on the inside.

The slides screw to the front and rear stiles of the frame.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Mike, I do not know how I missed the first tool chest. This one is amazing!!!
Like others, is that "lip" routered in the front of the shelves?
And what did you use for sealing it? Deeper drawers and that would be great for some of the people here that collect planes. Great job.

Saw the earlier answers, thanks for the feedback

I commented on the first one so I didnt remark on this one but again "darn fine work!"
Like Jonathan said, having a deep drawer would be a nice variation. To be able to store a few of your "favored" hand planes in as well as maybe some type of way to kit out the drawers to store chisels and scrapers etc that they wont roll around.
I am going to build a workbench one of these days. (really, I am, honest)
and I like the way you set up the drawers on this box now my wheels are spinning as to having some small drawers along the top for my chisels, screws, nails etc misc. also possibly a slide out "breadboard" that has my sharpening stones let into it so I can slide it out, touch up a chisel and slide it back. That way I have that much more workspace on the bench yet everything is right at hand. (in theory of course and like no plan survives contact with the enemy, no organized shop survives the opening volleys of a project....)
Anyway, my 2 cents. Love the design! Keep em coming!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Add me to the "missed the first one" list. I just went back and checked, and I can safely say either of these toolboxes would have a place of honor in my shop. Beautiful work, Mike. :clap:

I've seen both of them, and was sure I posted on the first. But now I can't see it. Anyway, I like them both. You can count me in for favoring a deep drawer. LOML said that they would look good in the dining room with silverware in them. :rofl::rofl: She's right!:thumb:

Well Mike the wood and woodworking on the chest is great. o
Now for my but...
I am a woodworker and these types of tool chest design i associate with tool wrenches.
Lets look at issues i already have with my own draws and anticipate having even worse with these. My chisels ran all over the show with each damaging the edge of the next.
When you see a woodworkers tool chest generally tbere should be a dedicatec custom holder of sorts that positions a tool in its place. So you know where it is and where to find it when you go into the chest. Same applies to handsaws like say a small gents tennon saw. Now i would not want my hammer rolling about on top of my handsaw.
Then where do i put a plane?
Sorry but these types are suited to wrenches sockets adjustables channel locks pliers etc which can live with getting beatfen together but i just dont see them for woodworking tools.
There you have my 5cents but hey what do i know.
Also i think they way to small for handtools.

sent from my Atrix