Another Tool Chest

Well Mike the wood and woodworking on the chest is great. o
Now for my but...
I am a woodworker and these types of tool chest design i associate with tool wrenches.

Sorry but these types are suited to wrenches sockets adjustables channel locks pliers etc which can live with getting beatfen together but i just dont see them for woodworking tools.
There you have my 5cents but hey what do i know.
Also i think they way to small for handtools.

The tool chest in the first post (light colored) was my prototype for an idea I had. The design and drawers were left that way to house drafting tools, most of which have their own boxes and cases. At 53 lbs they aren't really intended to be carried around...but they can be.

The rest of the chests were made to order with client specifications, as to sizes and design, wood species, etc. They went mostly to gear heads that wanted a machinists design. They were sold as "bare-bone" drawers, and I agree with you that the drawers could be sized and fitted for whatever tools you desire. It's more of...whatever you can afford.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

With the right dividers & maybe changing the depth of the drawers as needed these tool boxes I think would work very well for woodworking tools. The standard has been hanging WW tools up & storing a few lay out tools & other small tools in drawers & well as storing small hardware items particular to the jobs usually built by the person owning the tool box.

I think if properly thought out as to what you would be storing in the tool box & how & when you would use the tool or hardware one of these tool boxes would serve quite well.

So I guess I am saying it's all in the eye of the beholder. I have worked out of machinist boxes & mechanic tool boxes in the past & can see advantages as well as disadvantages that could be worked around with a little forethought.

I hear ya Mike and Bart but i currentlywork out of draws. With my fading memory i spend a whole lot of time looking for tools i know are in one of the draws.

This is my idea of a tool chest so you open the doors and they are all on hand and visible with dedicated places to put them and ensure they went back before you close it up.:D

Sorry not saying yours aint nice Mike. Of course the difference in cost between the two and footprint is day and night.;)

Well Mike, I like it alot, I like having my tools in drawers,it helps keep things cleaner ...... That is if you close them before useing a router or Sanders so close by that you fill up the drawers:rofl: But I reall like the feel of the ball bearing drawers opening up and so what if you have to open a couple before you find what you are looking for? You can always lable the drawer fronts if you have trouble remembering. Nice design and good Idea, You could also make them stackable,without the raised top!:D:thumb:

I hear ya Mike and Bart but i currentlywork out of draws. With my fading memory i spend a whole lot of time looking for tools i know are in one of the draws.

This is my idea of a tool chest so you open the doors and they are all on hand and visible with dedicated places to put them and ensure they went back before you close it up.:D

Sorry not saying yours aint nice Mike. Of course the difference in cost between the two and footprint is day and night.;)

I think you missed the point of my post.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

fledgling naive woodworker opinion-

You should use hondurian mahogany, birdseye maple for the panels, maybe some inlaid brass handles, just for a look, and market that bad boy cause Ive seen what steel box tool chests fetch, and your skill puts your boxes in a different league.
Dont know what your charged you clients for those boxes, but I hope they realize what a bargain they got.
And when I steal, I mean borrow your idea to build one for myself, rest assured I will never post a picture of it and have it ridiculed through pm's in comparison to what you created.

thankyou for sharing this fine piece of craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Mike, rest assured your tool chest is an amazing piece. Don't take the comments the wrong way, that is what you encounter when you get people posting about your project!:doh:
I agree that I would not use it for my wrenches because it is way to beautiful piece of furniture to even think of touching with dirty, greasy hands. :eek:
Drawer depths to my brain look like an easy change. :dunno:
Sending the drawer fronts to Pete Simmons for laser engraving of the contents would be a fantastic way of labeling and adding visual appeal to this tool chest.:headbang:
So please understand many of us think out loud while we type and are in no way demeaning or insinuating this is anything but a top quality piece of work you have completed. :thumb::thumb: