Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wooden Lathe (sort of)

A Wooden Lathe (sort of)

Back in January 2011, our turning club's secretary put out a request for members to do demos at monthly meetings. I offered to do a demo on captive hollowing tools, since I own two different styles of Monster hollowing rigs, and I figured some of the members might be interested in seeing them and trying them out. My offer was accepted, and my demo was scheduled for this month...yesterday, to be exact.

My initial plan was to use the club’s full-sized Woodtek lathe, but I learned a couple of months ago that they typically don’t have the lathe to the monthly meetings, but instead only bring it out for all-day demos. That scrubbed my plans to actually demonstrate how the tools work, but I figured some of the club members might still like to get to see and handle some of the tools. To do that, I needed a mockup of a lathe.

Using an old lathe stand that I had laying around, a couple of 2x4s, and less than a quarter sheet of plywood, here’s what I came up with:

The “headstock” is actually a live center with a 1 1/4” thread adaptor that I normally use to mount my chuck onto the tailstock. It will also become part of a jig that I’m planning to make for some other ideas I have in mind, so it’ll serve a purpose beyond being a lathe mockup. The hollow form on the “lathe” is one I knocked out last week. I intentionally left the walls a bit thick, then sawed part of the side away do people could see how the cutting tools reach various parts if the inside of the vessel.

In the end, the club members seemed to enjoy the “show and tell”, and I had quite a few people come up afterward to ask questions and check out the hollowing rigs more closely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Mockup 01 - 800.jpg   Lathe Mockup 02 - 800.jpg   Lathe Mockup 03 - 800.jpg  
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Very cool Vaughn that's the kind of learning I desire...'3D hands on'...kudos on ya for taking the time, & on a well done visual aid!

It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

That is about the best explanation I can imagine. Great job there teach! I was wondering when I saw it first if you powered it up with a drill. That is neat. Could be a great way to snag people at your sales table also. They get to see it isn't magic but pure art getting those HF the way you do!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

That is very slick Vaughn, with your bad back, I totally understand you doing this, personally I'd have used the chance as an excuse to buy a mini lathe

As always you attention to detail is obvious, I'm sure your club will be impressed by your commitment, some light bulbs will be going off in the audience and some sales will go Monster's way

You are firing on all cylinders
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    That is about the best explanation I can imagine. Great job there teach! I was wondering when I saw it first if you powered it up with a drill. That is neat. Could be a great way to snag people at your sales table also. They get to see it isn't magic but pure art getting those HF the way you do!

It sure helped me understand how you guys do what you do just my seeing the pictures
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great job Vaughn. Talk about thinking on your feet at the last minute!

well your past job experience sure shows threw on this demo vaughn..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Great idea.............
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Dang i wish i was a member of you club.

I second all that has been said so far.

You would have thought that the owners of the product would have had a prop like this to haul around and show the how its used concept.

Taking away the clutter of an actual machine brings the focus to the tool.

But then i guess not all tools could stand up to scuitiny like this one can.

Vaughn I applaud you on going to that effort to pass on "the knowledge"
    to your club members. I hope they appreciated it.

Ever thought of reping the tool itself. And i agree with Johnathan could add a very interesting show and tell dimension to your market stand. But i can also see some of the type questions it would bring from general public. Still an opportunity to engage people.
    cheers