The Route of the Hiawatha

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
For some months I've been mentioning that Jan and I were planning on riding a bike trail in north Idaho called the Route of the Hiawatha. It is a "Rail-to-Trail" project that has converted 15 miles of railroad right of way to bike trail. This idea is not unique, but the scenery is!

The trail goes through 10 tunnels and over 7 high trestles. The longest tunnel is 1.7 miles long. It is dark, damp, and quite cool. It was a very interesting experience to pedal for 7 or 8 minutes in total darkness with only the headlamp on the bike to guide you. The highest trestle is 230' high and 850' long. Breathtaking views await around every corner.

It is literally all downhill (dropping 1,000' in the 15 miles) and you can actually coast for about 70% of the ride - though many choose to start at the bottom, bike to the top and then coast back home. This has been on my bucket list for some time and I'm very happy we got the chance to ride the trail. If you're in the area, please take a day to enjoy this unique ride.

DSC_0003 (2).jpgDSC_0019.jpg1DSC_0012 (700 x 465).jpg1DSC_0013 (700 x 465).jpg1DSC_0020 (750 x 498).jpg1DSCN0791 (644 x 750).jpgDSC_0026.jpgDSC_0027.jpgDSC_0029.jpgDSCN0800.jpg

Last edited:
That is quite the place Rennie, I would love to do that some day, could not that the LOML though as she does not like tunnels or heights:p Looks like you and Jan are having a great trip thus far:thumb:

Rennie that looks fantastic. What a creative solution to an old train right of way.:thumb::thumb: Thanks for posting and sharing.

BTW you look really really happy.:thumb::thumb: Looks like you got a winner there and the cooking looks good.;)

So nice to see that smile on your face Jan looks to be having great fun. What a tremendous memory for the two of you.

Beautiful!!!...but I'm with Bob on crossing the bridge :eek: I get queezy just standing on a step stool :rofl:

Looks like a great experience. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Although, you would have to blindfold, sedate, then drag me across that bridge :eek::eek::eek:
Actually, the bridges are wide and solid as can be. You would not know you were on one unless you deliberately got near the edge and looked over.:eek:

Good for you! You will enjoy it, I promise. Just make sure you have REALLY good lights on your bike! :D

I haven't ridden my bike in several years, but always look at it and think I should. I have a mountain bike with a modification. I put one of those big seats on it, the kind that has springs hanging down.:eek: A lot of people poke fun at it and me, but I know deep down the older guys are just envious.:rofl:

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos, Rennie. That is some gorgeous scenery, and I'd love to see that in person.

Looks to me like you need to buy Jan a nicer bike, though...

Wow, that looks like an awesome ride. :thumb: Me and heights don't get along real well, but I could probably convince myself to cross the bridges. That would be the easy part. Convincing LOML to go on a 15 mile bike ride would be the toughie (even though it's mostly downhill). :rolleyes:

:huh::huh::dunno::dunno: What?

That's a classic 1960's Schwin! She has had it since she was a young girl, bought by her grandmother. She will never let it go!:D

Well you can't argue with with that! :D I've got plenty of things I'm sentimental about as well.

I just see a seat that looks uncomfortable (at least on a longer ride) and a lack of gears. I use my gears a LOT and can't envision riding any distance on a fixed-gear bike.