Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting a spraybooth

Lighting a spraybooth

I made a 8'x8' spraybooth and just got it painted white. I have 4 2-bulb 4' fluorescent fixtures that I am going to install behind sealed plastic to keep the fumes out. Where is the best location to put the lights? Is it beneficial to have more light coming from the opposite side of the piece being sprayed?

I place mind at each corner 1 left 1 right on top facing down
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I got around to getting more of the booth done, Its mostly done, I have to fit a filter to the exhaust blower, fresh air inlet filters, and seal around the doors. I designed the doors so that when opened there is full access, this also lets me open the doors and hang plastic if I need to spray something large. The doors also swing in completely so I can leave them that way when not in use and easily roll stuff in and out to keep it outta the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0074.jpg   IMG_0075.jpg   IMG_0076.jpg  
    Last edited by Dave Black; 07-25-2011 at 02:23 AM.

That looks great, Dave. I'm envious...for both the booth, and the space to have a booth.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That looks great, Dave. I'm envious...for both the booth, and the space to have a booth.

Same here. I've been thinking about doing something like that in my garage. The ceilings in the basement are too low.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great booth I probably know the answer but will ask anyway: you did instal all explosion prof electrical system, lighting and fan ? There have been way to many house fires from set up like your where the system failed.
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 07-25-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Great booth I probably know the answer but will ask anyway: you did instal all explosion prof electrical system, lighting and fan ? There have been way to many house fires from set up like your where the system failed.
    The fan is a furnace blower, The motor is not in the path of the exhaust so that should not be an issue. The lights are not explosion proof, I am going to enclose them behind a lens so that fumes can get to them. Other than that there is no electrical in there. I also would like to start to switch over to water borne lacquers and finishes, from what I understand there are not many flammable vapors so that also reduces the risk.

One thing to think about is cleaning the lighting covers. They will get over spray on them and begin to get hazy.
    So how dose the blower work if not in the path of the exhaust ? If you in any kind of township most have restrictions and most home owners policies do also against hazardous chemicals in homes. Just saying if anything were to happen you could lose everything.
    Be careful and go the extra distance to ensure proper equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    One thing to think about is cleaning the lighting covers. They will get over spray on them and begin to get hazy.
    So how dose the blower work if not in the path of the exhaust ? If you in any kind of township most have restrictions and most home owners policies do also against hazardous chemicals in homes. Just saying if anything were to happen you could lose everything.
    Be careful and go the extra distance to ensure proper equipment.
    The blower normally pulls air from both sides, the motor is on just 1 side. I attached the blower so only the non motor side is pulling air out of the spray booth, the motor side pulls in fresh air, so the motor has fresh air being pulled over it. Am I correct in thinking that water borne finishes would not be an explosion hazard?

You would be OK with water born finishes.