getting stuck tractor out of mud in Norway

It worked, but Frank is correct, it is extremely dangerous. A tractor when the front wheels start to raise, there is a point of no return and the tractor will rotate on the rear axle, thus flipping the tractor. If I remember correctly it happens in less than a half of a second once all things line up correctly. Hence the reason for ROPS (roll over protection structures) on all new tractors without cabs. All cabs have ROPS capabilities built into them.

Ah, that explains it. I was trying to figure out what was so unsafe about it, but hadn't thought of the possibility of flipping the tractor backward.

When I was in about 4th grade, my dad let me have my first go at driving the Ford tractor. I was essentially sitting in his lap, but running the pedals and the steering wheel. I learned real quickly what he meant when he told me to let the clutch out slowly. I popped it the first time and we did a wheelie, stopped only by the grading blade he had attached on the back. :doh:

There was an older neighbor that got himself killed couple years ago doing that very same thing. Hence why I put very dangerous. But a poor man has poor ways and pride is a terrible pill to swallow.

All for nothing a tractor is just like any other tool. Never do anything you are not comfy doing and it is best to know what things are posed to sound like feel like and so on. Anyone that has seat time working one of them knows by the feel in the seat whats tipped to high or pulling to hard. Most tractor accidents just like tools come from carelessness or letting the mind wander off the task at hand. And some from just plane lack of knowledge. Seen more than one guy killed from running the loaded bucket to high.:doh:

Yes Chuck and like our tools, tractors are patient and will kill you in an instant like a table saw or other tools. Had a good friend that was an Ag. teacher in Southern Indiana, two of his daughters are excellent ag teachers and he was a peach of a man. They raised and showed lambs, he like me couldn't wait to retire and enjoy the rest of his life on his farm. First spring of his retirement, liming his pastures, lime spreader pushed the tractor to the bottom of the hill and killed him. He had to of done that job for decades. They are powerful, POWERFUL, tools.