Used wood

Chuck Thoits

I got me the mahog decking off of a project this week. The guy is sick of staining and we changed it out to plastic decking.
Anyway I had this idea to plane it down and use it on the walls of my new entry. Now here is the problem finding a way to hide all the nail holes 2 holes 16" on center.
Once the stain and cup have been planed out the board will be about 1/2" thick and 3" wide.
I have thought of cutting them into 14.5" boards (cutting out the nail holes) and making some sort of panel. Or just nailing them up and putting a trim detail over the nails. The other thing is the better half thinks they should run up and down.:thumb:
So lets here it guys How would you hide the nails?

what does she mean by up and down ?? you mean run them vertical chuck? also why are you taking the time to clean them up? just use them as they are instead of making more work for your self..

well then, the nail holes are gonna look dark even though you clean up the wood right.. so your gonna see the dark holes no matter what. unless you cut them out and ran a herring bone effect with the short pieces.. then you could do your oil finish you want.

If you can line all the holes up nicely I have put dummy screws in to hide holes. Usually something short and with a pretty head. Used automotive trim screws some. They are rather expensive in the quantity you would need. 8-10 a hundred off of Ebay...

Or make a bunch more holes and call it high dollar wormy wood.....

Hmmmm,

- invest in a plug cutter and sacrifice one of the boards to make tapered plugs to fill the holes. By using the same boards, and doing side-grain plugs they should blend fairly well

- If the nail holes were all at the edges you could maybe rip the boards down to 2" and lop off the nail holes?

- If you can't hide it, flaunt it. Like Gary said with the dummy screws.

???

Both good ideas guys. The only thing that stands in the way of them is the last guy was not well lets say a perfectionist and just nailed them where ever the nail landed. I would need the screws/plugs to be all the same distance from the edge and to line up nicely. :thumb::doh:
Yes I do layout my nails/screws when installing decking.;) We actually put a 1/4"ish offset between them from one edge to the other so as to not be screwing in the same place in the top of the joist every time.:thumb:
Funny thing is we never miss the joist and have to add another nail/screw hole:thumb:

Boards standing vertical, the holes could be covered/camo'ed by a series of shelves at eye level. A hall bench or something below, eye won't catch and wouldn't worry about it. Or, lap siding? Cut the bottom hole off, round over, lap past top holes. Continue on. :dunno::dunno::dunno::huh::huh:

Just so you can see what we are working with:thumb:
First one is the pile
Second one is a piece after planing

Attachments

• tn_work 003.JPG
    tn_work 003.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 65
  • tn_work 004.JPG
    tn_work 004.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 63
I don't usually chime in but I'm retired now with lots of time to comment!! :)

I'd go with ripping the holes off. If there is enough lumber. You could end up with either random widths or sort thru the pile for the worst one, rip all to match. ( most wasted wood this way). Having spent all the effort to remove all the holes, I'd T&G them to blind nail to the wall.

How many sq. ft. of wall do you have to cover? How many sq. ft. of decking?

I suppose ripping them into 1/2" strips, turning them on side, and regluing is out of the question? :rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It does look nice when planed. I think I'd be as frustrated as you are.

How about cut'em, finger-joint the ends, re-glue the ends, and THEN plane them? Ouch, that'd be a whole ton of work! :doh:

Ever see those roofs that have pictures in them with different colored shingles? I think if you cut the boards to the correct lengths, you could get a smiley face with a wink out of those nail holes as art on your wall that Vaughn couldn't rehang!! :eek::huh::thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl:

Chuck,

I would tend to go with your idea of cutting the boards to 14.5" long and laying them in a bonded (you know, as in brick laying) pattern, either horizontal or vertical. It would involve a bit more mill work, but you are good at that. I think tounge & groove edges would be best too, with blind nailing.

JMHO

Aloha, Tony

Tony, that does sound like a good solution. :thumb:
Guess since he ignored my two suggestions I wasn't hitting the mark for him!:rolleyes::p:rofl::rofl:

With Tony's solution, one better might just be random lengths. Cut through the nail holes and create a pattern with what you have in random lengths much like a hardwood floor. :huh:

1) leave the holes and make good use of them. Tell people, it's reclaimed. It's the in thing, you know.

2) plug the holes with a contrasting wood. Finish as usual.

Regardless, celebrate the fact that you saved this wood from the burn pile.

1) leave the holes and make good use of them. Tell people, it's reclaimed. It's the in thing, you know.

2) plug the holes with a contrasting wood. Finish as usual.

Regardless, celebrate the fact that you saved this wood from the burn pile.

It aint saved yet Steve. But if it does not pan out on the wall in will pan out as heat for the shop this winter:thumb:

forget about it chuck, it looks like crapola.
someone of your standings and skill level would never put that hole filled mahogany in your home.

Put it aside, and if I get up your way Ill take it off your hands since I can use it for chairs and dont mind those little nail holes.

definately would look bad as panelling, so if I were you Id put it aside and give the junky mahogany to allen.

if it were me, and I didnt want to plug it up to make it look like plugs, Id chisel out a bit more than the hole, glue and stick in some piece and sand it down, wont even notice it after you oil it up. But Id still be skeptical and give it away.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the nail holes! I would make it into the wainscoting and use it. Maybe experiment with a little stain to see how dark it needs to be to sort of have them blend in. I was just working in a new home that had pine tongue and groove boards installed on the ceiling, floors and some walls that had all types of worm holes in them. It looked pretty good!:thumb:

If I was closer and you were just going to burn it I would take it off your hands and make a fine piece of furniture with it that would have a story to go with it. Seems like on the tour de wood some one said every project should have a story behind it and that's what gives it it's real value. Are you still peeking in from time to time Shaz?:wave: