Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labor saver

Labor saver

My specialty is rough work. This is something I saw an example of when googling a labor saving device. This calving season was our worst on record, 5 calves dead, 1 cow sold for butcher due to prolapse. The prolapsed cow had twins, we are bottle feeding them (no pictures will try to get some tomorrow). Well to try to offset this loss and since we were making 2 bottles, might as well feed 6 more! So I bought 2 heifers and 4 bull calves, jerseys. Might keep the heifers and put them in the herd, that decision will be made later. So, bottle feeding 6 calves is either an all day affair or something needs to be done! Lou is still on crutches so she can't get in a pen so this is what I did.
    Before you say it, my photography skills mimic my woodworking skills!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A trough?.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	58143
    Here it is in the shop partially completed. Somehow someway I messed up the way it looks (focus) playing around getting it sized and yep, didn't save the original!

Name:	Lou's truck.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	58145
    When Larry last visited, we drove halfway up to his house to pick up this little electric truck for my wife as she is on crutches and it has provided her means of transportation since that day. Best investment I have made for her mobility since her accident. Oh, and she lets me use it from time to time like now!

Name:	Know what it is?.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	58146
    Very critical to get the angle correct! That morning I made an imaginary line on my leg for the angle most of the group preferred. So here it is first hanging. Not used yet.

Name:	Calves nursing.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	58144
    And here is how it looks twice a day. Stays this hot will probably give an afternoon feeding of a half bottle of electrolytes this week. I originally thought I was going to build hinged dividers to keep them at their bottle. Only one takes a break and takes a lap so he is called "Rounder".

Remember I said I bought 6 calves and there are only 5 in the picture. Well these are 1-2 weeks old, the 6th one to fill my order, they stuck in a day old calf. Separated him into his own pen to stop from getting mauled. He also scoured real bad but think he is on the mend. So Lou with an individual bottle holder can feed him.
    Just thought I would share this so you know I have been doing something.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Jonathan, that rocks. What a great solution. Pretty smooth moves for "rough work".
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    I remeber those days. Used the same type of bottle. We had a wire rack that held 1 bottle, but hung on a board of the pen. I didn't mind the feeding as much as mixing the milk replacer.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Jonathan, that rocks. What a great solution. Pretty smooth moves for "rough work".
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bloem View Post
    I remeber those days. Used the same type of bottle. We had a wire rack that held 1 bottle, but hung on a board of the pen. I didn't mind the feeding as much as mixing the milk replacer.
    Yep, Lou uses one on the single calf. But they start head butting them and you can't hold 5 in place at one time, let alone sort them back into the pen as they finish their bottle. Lou mixes bottles, I wash!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

As a "City Boy"---really only a "town boy"---seeing what you do fascinates me. It also makes me darn glad I am a "town boy."

You are a good many Jonathan.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Funny thing is all I see is next years supper
    All though I prefer my supper to be black at this stage
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    As a "City Boy"---really only a "town boy"---seeing what you do fascinates me. It also makes me darn glad I am a "town boy.

Jim
    Jim, I grew up in a small town. Larry saw the house, barn and corral. Mom and dad bought a farm when I got into Jr. High to keep me busy and out of trouble. Perimeter fenced, cross fenced into four pastures 60 acres with a pair of post hole diggers, shovel and tamper. I think it was complete with swinging gates my Jr. year of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Funny thing is all I see is next years supper
    All though I prefer my supper to be black at this stage
    Will try to post pictures of the six calves we have successfully raised so far this year. You'll see some black. Also will try to get a shot of this fall's meat crop, all but one are black. Actually in a blind taste test, Jersey has beaten Angus a few times. Jersey is very delicious and what I prefer. But yes, for at least four of them, your eyesight is 20/20!!
    Jon

Man you a man among men handling that lot. I just have way too many questions see this.

I am really starting to think like the Chinese did way back. As i understand the story from one of my Chinese distributors there was a time when city folk were required to go back and work the land each so many years.

When i first heard the story i thought wow thats pretty harsh. But more and more i think it would do each one a great deal of good to get a feel for what you go through on a farm.

Where are the economics of feeding these guys milk if you have to mix it up i presume from powder milk. Sorry i am as dense as it gets when it comes to farm stuff but interested as all get go.

I was out in the country today at SWMBOs company BBQ and the bosses horses. It felt really great to be able to be outdoors and not have a neighbor in sight. Jonathan you amaze me.
    cheers

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Nicely done Jonathan

did something similar back in the day...though it wasn't with milk

Name:	Funnel gunning.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	58150

Nice Jonathan! That does the trick nicely!