Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Im having trouble beating the dehydration problems

Im having trouble beating the dehydration problems

Its been around a week and Ive been suffering leg cramps and muscle cramps pretty strongly. Suffered a few nights really bad.
    Started drinking tons of gatorade and mixing bottled waters in with it.
    Seemed to help a lot, had a few days of pain free cramps.
    Today, I guess I slipped, only one bottle gatorade, went for a walk after dinner, my legs locked up so bad I couldnt stand up, the pain was intolerable. I buckled over and my wife was panicking.
    got home, ate a banana and downed 2 waters and a gatorade and cooled off quickly in a cold room.

this is a serious thing. when it hits it hits hard. Just because iM working in AC now doesnt mean I hydrated properly in this heat.

Please take my words seriously. This stuff hurts, and can get worse.

Keep tons of liquid available and lay off the coffee.

Allen, I have been going through the same problems. I had one so bad the other night I begged my wife to call 911. I never felt such pain before. Fortunately it started getting better about the time she called so we called them off. When it happens I actually feel that permanent damage is occurring. It is pretty scary. I drink Powerade Zero and water so I think I get plenty to drink so I need to ask my doctor what else I need to do. Maybe I need to start eating more bananas like you said.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Out here I really have to watch the whole hydration thing. Nothing can give me a headache like getting dehydrated.... Good advice Allen.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I had double pnuemonia and severe dehydration in '77. To the point the doctor told my dad I was only leaving the hospital in a casket. I am susceptible constantly. I overheated a week or two back. To the point of dry heaves and couldn't get off of the bale of hay I fell on in the barn. Once I made it to the house, what generally helps me, besides a bunch of gatorades, is laying in luke warm bath for a couple of hours. Doctors now say no to salt tablets, but had to take three or four daily when I was shoeing horses, guess the theory was to replenish what I lost. I can drink all but the yellow gatorade, that is the only flavor available or the hospital offered. Watermelon, cantaloupe, anything to take in fluids.
    Be safe. Glad you are home.

Couple other things, wear a hat with a wide brim to keep the sun off of your head, face, ears and neck. A ziplock baggy of cold water with ice on your head while you work. There are some good gel neck bandanas that keep your blood cool also. First thing I generally do, immerse my hands in cold water in a bucket or trough past my wrists almost to my elbows. The blood is closest to the skin above the wrist and this will help cool you down on the inside reducing the moisture being lost .
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 07-17-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Hope you do better, Allen

Be sure to drink liquids spaced out evenly throughout the day. There is such a thing as too much hydration. People die from it, as documented on radio shows that had drinking water contests.

I once had to get my annual blood test and with fasting and work getting in the way, I just kept drinking water. Didn't show up for the test till 1pm. It messed up my results, showing my electrolytes way too low.

A banana a day, keeps the leg cramps away.

Yep, potassium is a good thing!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

jon, I keep saying Im getting some of those hat and gel headbands and I havent ordered one yet.. Not waiting anymore. Gonna do it tomorrow.
    and with a neuro disease its very important I keep my body temp down.
    Just get lazy and concentrate of the project in front of me.

Thanks Allen for making this thread. I too am a numbskull that does not drink enough fluids throughout the day.
    cheers

What I have found is that if I eat one of those giant dill pickles a day in the summer, I usually don't cramp up. Must be the salts and other stuff in it, that does it.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Sodium is as important as potassium. We generally get enough through what we eat though.

When I coached football we were constantly on the kids about hydration during the first of the season. I'd always tell them you start hydrating for Friday on Monday.

A cool pack in your arm pits will also help bring down your temp.

I hope you get it worked out Allen. Cramps are no fun.
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 07-17-2011 at 08:10 PM.