Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray Finish Question - Regulator Filter

Spray Finish Question - Regulator Filter

Finally got around to trying out a small Badger spray gun unit on some turnings I had. It is a Badger simple unit with a screw on glass jar (or jars). I have a small junky air filter that I used to test it out and I used Behlan laquer.
    ( I also have a Paasche that I have not used yet either)

Question: I am not used to using a spary gun setup but it is easy to use and clean. I was told I should get a good filter/regulator set up for it. I am not quit sure what to buy or who has a good deal on the setup.........
    Anybody else have a setup with a good filter/regulator setup ??

Thanks............Dan
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 07-17-2011 at 04:56 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

I've got an earlier model of this cheapie one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-air-...uge-68228.html

I had two - one on each of two separate lines - but one of them developed a leak and I removed it. I bought a new one to replace the one that leaked, but haven't felt a need to install it yet. I use that line for my blow nozzle hose, so I want full blast with that line anyway. I have enough other moisture-trapping stuff in my air system that the extra water trap/filter hasn't been necessary. (I have a large commercial desiccant air dryer at my "air station", too.)

I've also got a mini regulator with a gauge on my spray gun, and a big one on my main 3/4" line coming out of the compressor tank.

If you're just using a hose from your compressor to your gun, I'd recommend getting something a bit better than the Harbor Freight cheapie regulator/filter. You really need for the air to be clean and dry for spraying finishes, so money spent now will save you finishing problems in the future. I can get by with the cheap one my system because I've got other things helping to clean and dry the air before it ever gets to it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Spray Finish Question - Regulator Filter

Dan, Your Badger is not a bad unit, just not too sophisticated, as spray equipment goes. It will work. I have an older Binks "Wren" airbrush that I like using for small spraying. It is a little simpler than my touch or detail guns.

SHARP used to make a nice regulator/separator for smaller spray outfits. I have seen them at paint stores and auto paint dealers. They were a blue/green color with the regulator integral with the separator housing. They work just like their big brothers the pros use. There probably are other makers out there selling similar units.

Aloha, Tony

P.S. Vaughn slipped in here while I was typing. He shows a smaller version of what I was telling you about. The HF one may work well enough for you. Just be sure to mount it so the moisture chamber is always at the bottom or the water will go into your air line, and that ain't a good thing.
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 07-17-2011 at 06:09 AM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

vaughn, that commercial air dryer you have. are they readily avaible? i had a water problem this last month, and with a cooling rack that i had opened regulary..the present water trap didnt do its job,,
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry, it was one I found on eBay. Made by Beach. It's the blue thing in this pic:

As I recall, I paid about $80 or $90 for it with a new desiccant pack in it, but it retails new for a lot more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air System 12 - 800.jpg  

workingwoods.com

for some reason i thought it was big box but that is a major savings from new price..what makes it so pricey??? i have a sharp in my finish room that is descant type and that was no where near that price you show on your setup..does it actually do that much better job to warrant $1700
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Beats me, Larry. It's nice and strongly built, but I sure don't see $1700 worth of product in it.

workingwoods.com

Vaughn - Tony - I am a bit confused over what to buy so I looked on Northern Tool and got myself a bit more confused. I see that there are different sizes other than 1/2" and many different makes. All I need is a Regulator/filter to Y off my compressor with - 1 for my blow gun and the other to run thru the Regulator filter for my small sprayers.
    So, What do you recommend ?

Pictures below of the one i was looking at to buy and the other pictures are of my compressors current set up...........below are the spec on the one I was looking at...............thoughts ??

Ingersoll Rand Air Line Regulator 1/2in., 215 CFM, 250 PSI, Model# R37341600VS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 404800_lg[1].jpg   P1010002.jpg   P1010003.jpg   P1010004.jpg  
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Dan, the I-R unit you showed is just a regulator. Essentially the same thing that you already have on your compressor. It's not doing any filtering and it doesn't have a moisture trap. Here's the same unit with the filter added:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2578_200392578

That said, are you sure the line coming out of your compressor is 1/2"? It might be 3/8" or 1/4". If it's smaller, you can likely get by with a less expensive filter/regulator, like the Harbor Freight one I linked to earlier.

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the information...............I am not sure of the size but I can take off a pc of it to measure.........probably easiest way to tell......no day off for a bit but will let you know and thanks - that claifys things