Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Apron

Shop Apron

Spent some time looking for a shop Apron online yesterday. I need to do something about this once and for all.

But here is the thing. I find they all to narrow.

can anyone with a little added weight in the middle please let me know which shop apron you use.

Anyone know of a store offering shop aprons where the same pattern but different sizes are offered.

I am thinking of having SWMBO make me one that way i get what i want but i cannot believe the problem i have is unique.

Then do you keep a rag in your shop apron as a rule. I am prone to wiping my hands on my pants near my pockets. Trying to change my ways and been using dispossable blue shop towel.

What other solutions do you all use.
    cheers

I've got one of these and like it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...cessor=content

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Had my wife make me one. She used the stretchable ribbing - like the sleeve cuffs and bottom of a sweatshirt - around the top to make it sort of a 'turtleneck,' with velcro as a closure. One set of tie-straps around the middle.

No pockets - all they do is collect sawdust.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

The apron I linked to has this feature

Now has industrial strength mesh-bottomed front pockets so fasteners stay in but sawdust doesn’t build up.
    Unfortunately I have the older version, and the pockets do indeed fill up with sawdust...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

i have the lee valley version but it has been modified by my daughter. its good starting point rob, the pocket need mesh in the bottom to avoid the sw dust and the lee valley one is big enough for the wiping part,, you wont use the rag only when you remember most of the time the pant legs come first another thing i have seen is to make the pencil pocket side ways and had some others normal.. the positioning of these can be critical, they seem to be right where they shouldnt and break leads every time you lean over..so do some home work and make a proto-type before going for the final style, and the clip type buckles work well for the neck and waist area for me at least.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I buy teeshirts online for 3 dollars each and where them when I work, 10 dollar sweatshirts in the winter.
    I keep a stack of them so I can change daily or twice a day and dont worry about staining them or wiping my hands on them. When they get too ratty I toss them.
    Being fat, I find aprons too confining and I dont like hanging tool or walking around with tools in my pockets. If I needtoo, I can clip a tool to my belt or get a holster for that tool(which I have, and never use.)

Carpenters pants (carhart) or carpenters shorts.
    Occasionally a tool belt but only when it doesnt create a navigation hazard.

I have a denim apron, similar to a cook's apron, that I never use. It was good when I lived up North (Virginia, Pennsylvania), but it is too hot here in Texas, except when I am turning, and use it as an easier way to shake off the flying chips.

My apron has a pencil pocket, but even that is too much extra... I like to keep things inside the apron, and not add weight and heat.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Shop Aprons

1) Rob, I have three rolls of TP scattered around the shop. A square wipes a bit of paint or glue off of the fingers or picks up a smear off of the bench or a tool. I also use paper towels.

I use the bandsaw and cut the roll of paper towels into thirds which end up being about the size of a roll of TP. This is used for heavier, larger or gooeyer (that's a word?) things like wiping up rust after being doused with penetrating oil.

2) Charlie, use an old shirt for an apron. Just put it on backwards. That puts the pocket behind you where the sawdust rarely goes. You can use a light weight cotton short sleeve shirt in warm weather and a long sleeve flannel shirt when it is cool. It only takes one button to keep it on or put a clip on it.

I have two aprons. I used one once or twice. The other is a Tormek apron which I have never worn. I threw the box away last week so it would take up less room. I'm sure you know the story---Too good to throw away, but never use it. If anyone wants the Tormek apron, they can have it. PM to me. I have no idea where the other apron is residing.

Enjoy,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 07-19-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: clarification
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I have an old denim apron that was my granddad's. I usually only wear it when I'm gluing or applying finish and worried about getting it on my clothes. I also wear it sometimes if I'm roughing out some real wet wood on the lathe. It keeps my shirt and pants a bit drier. It has a large pocket in front, but I wear it inside out so I don't fill it with shavings.

Most of the time, I'm wearing shop clothes, so I don't really care if I get anything on them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com