Random orbit sanders. My threw a pad....

Jim O'Dell

I don't need a real expensive one, but something more than what I had. It was a Christmas gift from LOML. Found the cheapest one she could find at a B&D outlet store at the outlet mall. It worked and did ok, but recovery time was 15 minutes for every 5 minutes of use. I've searched through the archive here and gotten some information. Specifically I'm looking at the Milwaukee 3021-21, the Bosch ROS20VSK, the DeWalt D26451K, and at the higher end, a refurbished Ridgid 2610. The Ridgid is a 6" unit made by Metabo, and has the switchable 1/8" and 1/4" pattern for sanding. I have a Ridgid 4" angle grinder that is the Metabo build and it is a hoss. Anyone have any personal info on any of these units? Pros and cons would be very helpful! Thanks. Jim.

I picked this one up a few months ago to replace the old Ryobi I dropped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MMSH86

It's not variable speed, but it works great and the dust pick up is very effective.

I think it's the same as the ROS20VSK, without the VS.

I'm not much of a connoisseur, but it runs smooth and works well.

i was gonna suggest bosch because of there warranty and service history, as for varible speed goes i have 2, 1295 bosch and dont see the need for variable speed. you can be the speed control and should be.

Guess you already got one, but if anyone else is looking I have the milwaukee and it's a good solid sander. Been using it 1/2 a year, vibration isn't to bad and the dust collection is good.

No, sorry Jeb... I wasn't very clear. I just picked up the demo 2611 (clone) Ridgid to see how it felt, so crossed the 2610 (Metabo built) off my list as it is just too big and heavy. They are the same design, so if anything, the Metabo would be heavier, not lighter.
I picked up the Milwaukee 6021-21 and noted how similar it is to the smaller Ridgid unit. I'd suspect they come out of the same plant. On/off switch slightly different, variable speed switch identical. I just read through the reviews on Amazon and am leaning to this unit for price (60 bucks, free shipping) and the 5 year warranty. Took me forever to find the Bosch warranty was 1 year, same as the DeWalt. Glad to see you like yours. Is it the 6021-21?? Jim.

Last edited:
I got the Bosch 5" variable speed at Lowe's for $69, and grab it before my Festool sander - it is an outstanding unit. I also have the very similar Porter Cable, but don't like it as well, but I am not sure why.

I have heard that the Ridgid Metabo 6 inch sander is very good, but Home Depot has not sold the Metabo unit for several years - in fact when I first looked at them, the number for the clone and the Metabo were the same, and you had to play detective to be sure it was Metabo (it wasn't, so I didn't buy).

Charlie, as I was looking on line, I knew the Metabo built unit was no longer available new, but you can get a refurbished unit for about 80.00 with shipping and tax. As happy as I am with my Ridgid/Metabo angle grinder, I wanted to pursue that avenue for the ROS, but it is just too stinking big and heavy. Would probably be great for sanding a wood floor. :thumb: Jim.

I have two Bosch 1295-DVS units. One is going on 6 years of use, the other about three. This model is discontinued IIRC which is a shame; it had the best pattern of many units tested including those priced much higher. Maybe refurbed from CPO Bosch?

I have the Bosch and the Rigid/metabo. Both are excellent sanders you wouldn't go wrong with either of them. I usually use them both in tandem. I use the fast takedown with the coarser grits on the metabo and then go to the finer 150 on up the bosch. Both have excellent dust collection when hooked up to a vac and very good when using the supplied bag or cartridge.
My only complaint with the Bosch is that the pads can wear down quickly. I also have a PC right angle DA sander that I switched out the h&l pad for a psa. The paper is about half what the hook and loop costs and the pad lasts forever it seems. With the amount of sanding I do on a given job I usually have all three set up with different grits or like with the pc and the bosch I will use the bosch for the smaller areas or edges and the pc for the field.With the metabo for the coarse grits.

I used the heck out of my PC 5" ro sander for the past 8-10 years. I love it but it's finally getting a little tired. Because of the great luck of had with it I'll probably go with another PC.

I used the heck out of my PC 5" ro sander for the past 8-10 years. I love it but it's finally getting a little tired. Because of the great luck of had with it I'll probably go with another PC.

Did you know that PC and Delta are B&D now? Probably not the same as the one you had. My new 7345 DA doesnt hold a candle to my old 97466 DA.
B&D as usual has taken the name and is now "cheesing" out the product. It's it still a good sander but I dont know how long it will last compared to the 8+ years of almost constant use the other gave me. I notice a lot more vibration, the case is bigger (probably due to the primitive nature of chinese tech) which doesnt fit my hand as nicely as the other. Tends to bite in and run where the other was very smooth. Too bad because it was a great machine.
I would look around at some of the others if you are in the market before buying another PC. Like I said, still a good product but it no longer sets itself apart from the other brands out there.

Good info Rich :thumb:

If that's the case then I'll probably look at the Bosch or Milwaukee.

The PC I have now has seem to have lost its speed governor. If it had rotors I think it would almost hover over my workbench. :eek:

Yeah it's a bummer. all the good tool companies have been bought up...
Milwaukee is owned by Ryobi's parent company, so they have been borgified (if that is a word)

If you look at dewalt, pc and some of the rigids and craftsmen as well as b&d. they all look like they came out of the same injection molder, just different colors. All part of the black and decker "family" so are Lennox blades and a few others..:eek:

I think that's the one I'm going to get too. Nice choice Jim :thumb::thumb:

Not to hijack the thread but I hate tool boxes. I must of had 7 or 8 empty plastic tool boxes that I've been saving for seems like 8 years. Finally took them all to the dump.

I think that's the one I'm going to get too. Nice choice Jim :thumb::thumb:

Not to hijack the thread but I hate tool boxes. I must of had 7 or 8 empty plastic tool boxes that I've been saving for seems like 8 years. Finally took them all to the dump.

Wish I could bring myself to get rid of them... Getting close... :D

Nice buy Jim. My bet is it will last you well.:thumb::thumb: Good luck with it.

Bob you make such a good point. Just look at Jims picture and check all the packaging that comes with the tool. No wonder we pay so much for a basic tool.

Mine are all in the dump. Was gonna try sell them on ebay but figured not worth the effort and hagling. Was quiet a blow for freedom from clutter. Still have a couple of tools i keep in the odd one but they in the minority. Not as if i use a sawzall everyday. :D

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the plastic carry/storage boxes. I have them stacked under my bench. (not a woodworking bench) The drills I keep out all the time, but if I need to take one someplace to work with, I use the case. Keeps the tool from flying all over the van. Jim.