Serving Tray

looks fantastic, I am sure Mike H. would approve given his recent tutorial. Really nice gift. Thats got bragging rights for her all over it. You may end up with an order or two from others in the family.

sent from my Atrix

Last edited:
Is the bottom veneered, or is it a glue-up of individual pieces?

I've made several variations of these in the past, using glue-ups, and they've proven quite durable.

I've also done a couple using veneers on MDF substrate, but nothing so elaborate as this, or even approaching anything like Mike's.

Jim, it is a glue up of individual pieces glued to 1/4" Baltic birch ply, I planed the walnut, cherry, and birch stock for the pieces to 3/16" thick and cut them on a table saw jig.
Chuck

Jim, it is a glue up of individual pieces glued to 1/4" Baltic birch ply, I planed the walnut, cherry, and birch stock for the pieces to 3/16" thick and cut them on a table saw jig.
Chuck

Charles,
I made mine about a quarter inch thick - cut on a tablesaw jig, like yours - and glued them directly to one another (no backer) using Titebond. What with clamping limitations, I could only glue up a few blocks at a time, so it took several days to do. In spite of not having a solid backing, the trays have held up beautifully (so far).

Attachments

• Tray 1a.jpg
    Tray 1a.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Jim yours looks awesome. I was afraid of trying to glue them together without a backing since I didn't know how strong it would be. Good to know that they can be done as yours is. I may have to try one that way.

Absolutely beautiful tray. However, please do not serve me breakfast on it.

Not picking on you. I also don't want to get up in the morning and go into a bathroom with bright red or purple fixtures. There are just some things that do NOT go with first thing in the morning.

Enjoy,

Jim