Woodworker or Redneck?

Tom Baugues

Ok I don't get to post in the flatwork section very often and maybe I shouldn't be now but.....

I bought this lawn mower back in 1995. It has a very heavy solid steel deck and I bought it thinking it would last for ever. The motor has been simply great and still starts on the first pull and I have never changed the spark plug. The mower did have a plastic front end that supports the front wheels and axle. This plastic front has broken now for the third time. A new front has cost me about $50.00 to replace but the mower is useless without it. Well it broke again this week and I called to reorder another one and they now tell me that the plastic front costs $85.00. :eek: I tried to use some JB Weld on it but it would not hold up so I got to thinking about how to replace it until I decide what else to do. Then it hit me.......I'm a woodworker! So this is what I came up with and I think it is much stronger than ever. It is a little heavier but it works. So.....am I a woodworker...or just a Redneck! :rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_6482 (Small).JPG
    IMG_6482 (Small).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I'm with Tom Niemi...it ain't redneck unless there's duck tape or baling wire involved. I see neither, so I'd say it's woodworking.

Actually, at this point, it's carpentry. Sand it to 400 grit and put a hand-rubbed finish on it...then it'll be woodworking. :D

When sanded to 400 grit you could paint it red. Then in very neat white print you could paint "Neck".

That would solve your delema (or however you spell it). You could tell people that it is a Red Neck woodworker's device for shortening the lawn so the dandelions can grow better.

Enjoy,
Jim

That is really a fun, good, practical solution to a problem.

Good save. Clean up the whole thing sanding the wood smooth & repaint the whole base & it will look like it belongs together.

I had a 20" metal deck crack around the base of the motor once & just found another good 22" deck for around $15 & bolted on the motor, worked great.

Woodworkers are often Rednecks, so who cares which is which! :D

I agree with painting it, no one will notice, and you will protect it from rot! :thumb:

Nice save, I could see my self doing that..... if we had any law to mow :rolleyes: