Beall Buffing System or something else?

Tom Baugues

So my lathe work is starting to pick up pace and I'm actually been able to do a few bowls (yes, pics will come later). So far I'm using some antique oil as my finish but I do not have a buffing system yet. I have a small buffing wheel mounted in my drill press but it just isnt getting the job done. I've read about the "Beall Buffing System". I've also read that some people prefer the individual buffs instead of the 3-n-1 system. Is this the way to go or is there something else to look at. Woodcraft sells the Beall system for like $72.00 (which aint cheap). What do you guys/gals use?

Tom, I have a Beall system, send me your address, will put it in a box with the three bars (will look for the instructions) and send it to you. Try it for a couple of months and send it back. What you do after that experience is up to you. I really like mine for specific things.

I have the Don Pencil setup. I do recommend getting the three separate buffs instead of the 3-in-1 rig that Beall sells. The 3-in-1 is fine for pens and smaller items, but the single buffs are easier to get at with bowls and hollow forms, and switching from one buff to the other only takes seconds.

Also, there's really nothing magic about the different buffs for different compounds (all linen, all cotton, and cotton/linen blend). Beall and Pencil just make it easy to find the buffs you need from a single vendor. ;)

And on another note, I wouldn't bother with the carnauba wax. It shows fingerprints and water spots WAY too easily. It's great for M&Ms, but I don't like it on wood. There are much better waxes out there...Renaissance Wax is what I use. It's not cheap, but I'm still using the can I bought 4 years ago.

Jon's offer is very generous. If you're in doubt about whether you'll like the results, take him up on it. (You will be impressed.) :thumb:

I've got 8" wheels that I use on my big lathe, and bought some 6" wheels from Home Depot or Lowe's to run on my small lathe. I've also got the bowl buffs...can't remember if I went with the 3" or 4". I only use those on smaller pieces that I can't get inside of with the bigger wheels.

I made my own buffing wheel set out of some threaded rod, nuts, washers, adn buffing wheels. One wheel is charged with some kind of buffing compound, the other some diamond polish compound.

I just mount it in a drill chuck and put it in the lathe. Drilled a little hole in the other end for the live center to hook up to...