Thread: When to use a "hollowing" rig?

Lafayette, Indiana

When to use a "hollowing" rig?

I recently put together a hollowing rig (have yet to use it) but tonight I got to thinking how often to use it. You could actually use it for all your inside turnings whether it is a simple bowl or platter or a complicated vase project. So my question for those of you that have a hollowing you still turn the insides of "simple" projects by hand or would you use your hollowing rig.
    I'm just learning to turn bowls and such so am I better served learning to use the hollowing rig for most projects or only for those projects with deep hidden interiors?
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Goodland, Kansas
    Tom I don't use my hollowing system on the inside of bowls. I can hog the wood out with a 5/8" bowl gouge faster and then take the final cuts with a conventional gouge. Mine is strictly used on hollow forms.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Austin, Texas
    I met a woodturner with wrist and arm problems, who said the hollowing rig allowed her to keep turning - she used it for practically everything. She did good work, but I doubt if it would be the most efficient tool if you had other options.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at

Abq, NM
    I just use the rig (mini monster) on closed forms and HF's. As a novice turner I can get more of these to the finish line without a catch resulting in a larger hole to save the piece. I think your better off learning how to use them ALL.
    Happy hollowing,

Lufkin Texas
    I just use mine on deeper hollow forms and use hand held tools on the small hollow forms. I use a bowl gouge on the inside of bowls.

ABQ NM
    I typically use the rig only on hollow forms and closed form bowls. Some of the closed forms could be done with a bowl gouge, but for me, there's less of a chance for a catch if I use the rig instead. On a regular bowl, though, I can get a cleaner cut (and get done faster, too) with a bowl gouge. As MJ said, learning both is your best bet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan