Votes: 45 69.2%
  • Room air conditioner in more than one room

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Room air conditioner in only one room

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • No air conditioner, just open windows and fans

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters
Just wondering how many actually have air conditioning in their homes (not talking shops here now). Room air conditioner, whole house, or nothing. Thought with the dehydration topic this might be interesting to know. Totally useless, but interesting!:rofl::rofl:

Okay, I voted, open windows and fans only here. How about the rest of ya????

Last edited:
Johnathan never had it back in SA at all no fans nadda. But we had a gorgeous pool with lots of privacy so a swim at 12 at night did not cause a ruckus with the neighbors.

Cannot think how we would survive in Canada without it. The houses are not exactly geared to ventilate that well with few opening windows.

I cannot stand the aircon but we have tried to live without it and cannot.

I'd like to see stats based on living in town vs living in the country. I live in town - urban setting, city of 300,000. There just aren't many breezes or big enough trees to make an impact.

(and central air here, though it usually cools enough at night to open up the windows...)

One option you left out that you might not be aware of.

Swamp Coolers...

We've got a swamp cooler on our house. Basically it's a box with mesh pads on 4 sides. It has a little water resevoir at the bottom and a pump to pump the water to the top and keep the pads saturated. A fan pulls air through the pads and pumps it into the house. The evaporation of the water can cool the air quite a bit, depending on how hot things are and how humid it is.

They work really well in hot dry climates and use much less electricity than an air conditioner.

On the really hot days (above 95) we'll generally run it from around noon till about 9:00pm.

I had central air until yesterday when smoke came pouring out of the unit. Probably the fan motor, but won't know until tomorrow when they come to look at it. High today should top 110 when the humidity is added...to hot for me! For now we are sleeping in my parents camper in our driveway...has everything we need, just not as much room. I don't mind heat, but the humidity of IA isn't my friend.

One option you left out that you might not be aware of.

Swamp Coolers...

We've got a swamp cooler on our house. Basically it's a box with mesh pads on 4 sides. It has a little water resevoir at the bottom and a pump to pump the water to the top and keep the pads saturated. A fan pulls air through the pads and pumps it into the house. The evaporation of the water can cool the air quite a bit, depending on how hot things are and how humid it is.

They work really well in hot dry climates and use much less electricity than an air conditioner.

On the really hot days (above 95) we'll generally run it from around noon till about 9:00pm.

Funny that I've never heard of that type.....you think that it would give Legionnaires disease a place to spread. Do you treat the water in the reservoir?

Funny that I've never heard of that type.....you think that it would give Legionnaires disease a place to spread. Do you treat the water in the reservoir?

They have treatments you can put in there, but it's not really necessary.

The biggest problem is mineral build up on the pads, but we replace those every year anyway.

Lived without it for nearly 20 years now. The window unit that was in the house was dead, and too much for one person to handle. I bought a replacement, but the person that was going to help me, went into emergency surgery, and didn't return home for a month. Was in the middle of scrapping the house when it hit the highs it has (110 degree's without the heat index and 117 with). Crashed at my parents in the room I sleep when I dogsit for them a couple of days. Hope it cools down so I can get some paint up, without it drying on the brush, otherwise might just toss it in and wait till fall.

cannot function without it.
must keep it on in order to have at least one cooling room or Im done.
Its difficult to explain, but when my body gets too heated up, my muscles refuse to cooperate.
My vision will go blurry.
this is how I judge if Id have enough woodworking on warm days, when my eyes start to get blurry and go tired.
also explains the level of my craftmanship, but Im happy Im making sawdust.

Whole house central but the upstairs stays warmer.

Just wondering how many actually have air conditioning in their homes (not talking shops here now). Room air conditioner, whole house, or nothing. Thought with the dehydration topic this might be interesting to know. Totally useless, but interesting!:rofl::rofl:

Okay, I voted, open windows and fans only here. How about the rest of ya????

I had central air until yesterday when smoke came pouring out of the unit. Probably the fan motor, but won't know until tomorrow when they come to look at it. High today should top 110 when the humidity is added...to hot for me! For now we are sleeping in my parents camper in our driveway...has everything we need, just not as much room. I don't mind heat, but the humidity of IA isn't my friend.

We must be on the same moon cycle or something, mine smoked yesterday also. Fortunately mine was only the little pump that pumps the condensation out. I called this morning, they have already been out and all is fixed, and covered under warranty. Life is not so bad, this time anyway.

We use to have the swamp coolers when I was a kid. I liked them because you could keep the house opened up and a nice cool breeze went through. Unfortunately my wife doesn't agree. I hate a closed up house....

Last edited:
attachment.php

Why?:dunno:

Attachments

• Weather.JPG
    Weather.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 62