Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facebook question

Facebook question

I hear a lot about Facebook so I created a "profile" just so I could access the site (you'll never find me - I put bogus info in my profile).

But when I look at other people's pages, there's nothing there of any interest. I look at their profile and their "wall".

What's the attraction of Facebook? What do people get out of it? Or is it that you have to create a circle of "friends" who can see more of your Facebook pages, and you share pictures of last night's drunken party?

So far, I just don't get it. But then, I don't get Twitter either.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike to me FB is a joke. It is almost as bad as the CB's from long ago. It is a way for people to cry out their problems and complain, tell about how their 5 year old finally quit wearing diapers. I have dumped several family members for just this kind of stuff.

It does have a good side if you have an extended family. Easier to keep in touch and share pictures.

Do I use it, yes. Do I have fun with it, yes. I post some of the most silly stuff, just because.

Now you can also Like or friend wood working companys and get some discounts.

So take it with a grain of salt and enjoy it.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I have the same impression Mike.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

It's only as good as the people your friends with. If you not friends you don't see their wall.

It's been good for my business. A way to contact and interact with clients and of course advertising.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I was thinking of using it as a way to keep a photo record and let people I know who ask me to be able to see my woodworking.
    (no, Im not looking to market my stuff, but there are some of my family members that dont believe I can put a nail in straight)

Lurking on Facebook doesn't really work very well. It's kind of one of those things you have to participate in if you want to get anything out of it. You have to friend other people and accept other people's friend requests.

One thing I have enjoyed is I have gotten back in touch with some friends I lost touch long ago.

I must have a pretty good group because I don't get too much of the useless games and other nonsense. I probably get a few chuckles a day out of it.

I have one friend who does lurk. She refuses to post anything in public, but will read things I put up there and then email me...

I've pretty much given up on twitter.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I was thinking of using it as a way to keep a photo record and let people I know who ask me to be able to see my woodworking.
    (no, Im not looking to market my stuff, but there are some of my family members that dont believe I can put a nail in straight)
    It's perfect for that sort of thing Allen...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I use it to keep in contact with a group of relatives that are spread over the USA--it's great for that. I also have many "friends" who are former students; I remember many of them as 18 year old high school seniors, when in fact they may have graduated over 40 years ago. I have also made contact with people I knew from high school and college from years ago. You have to get involved with it for it to have any useful purpose. Twitter? Never tried it; don't intend to.
    Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-20-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    You have to get involved with it for it to have any useful purpose.
    I understand. I just don't know if I want to open that door.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Unless you are on the witness protection program, I'd say give it a shot. Not much to lose and you could always delete your account later.

It's a very popular place for folks that like to cook to post pics of things as well...

What's the worst that could happen? You could make a few new friends?

I remember I felt apprehensive about FWW at first, posting under a real name and all. And now it's no big deal...