Facebook question

I hear a lot about Facebook so I created a "profile" just so I could access the site (you'll never find me - I put bogus info in my profile).

But when I look at other people's pages, there's nothing there of any interest. I look at their profile and their "wall".

What's the attraction of Facebook? What do people get out of it? Or is it that you have to create a circle of "friends" who can see more of your Facebook pages, and you share pictures of last night's drunken party?

So far, I just don't get it. But then, I don't get Twitter either.

Mike

Mike to me FB is a joke. It is almost as bad as the CB's from long ago. It is a way for people to cry out their problems and complain, tell about how their 5 year old finally quit wearing diapers. I have dumped several family members for just this kind of stuff.

It does have a good side if you have an extended family. Easier to keep in touch and share pictures.

Do I use it, yes. Do I have fun with it, yes. I post some of the most silly stuff, just because.

Now you can also Like or friend wood working companys and get some discounts.

So take it with a grain of salt and enjoy it.

It's only as good as the people your friends with. If you not friends you don't see their wall.

It's been good for my business. A way to contact and interact with clients and of course advertising.

I was thinking of using it as a way to keep a photo record and let people I know who ask me to be able to see my woodworking.
(no, Im not looking to market my stuff, but there are some of my family members that dont believe I can put a nail in straight)

Lurking on Facebook doesn't really work very well. It's kind of one of those things you have to participate in if you want to get anything out of it. You have to friend other people and accept other people's friend requests.

One thing I have enjoyed is I have gotten back in touch with some friends I lost touch long ago.

I must have a pretty good group because I don't get too much of the useless games and other nonsense. I probably get a few chuckles a day out of it.

I have one friend who does lurk. She refuses to post anything in public, but will read things I put up there and then email me... :rolleyes:

I've pretty much given up on twitter.

I was thinking of using it as a way to keep a photo record and let people I know who ask me to be able to see my woodworking.
(no, Im not looking to market my stuff, but there are some of my family members that dont believe I can put a nail in straight)

It's perfect for that sort of thing Allen...

I use it to keep in contact with a group of relatives that are spread over the USA--it's great for that. I also have many "friends" who are former students; I remember many of them as 18 year old high school seniors, when in fact they may have graduated over 40 years ago.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I have also made contact with people I knew from high school and college from years ago. You have to get involved with it for it to have any useful purpose. Twitter? Never tried it; don't intend to.

Last edited:
Unless you are on the witness protection program, I'd say give it a shot. Not much to lose and you could always delete your account later. :thumb:

It's a very popular place for folks that like to cook to post pics of things as well...

What's the worst that could happen? You could make a few new friends?

I remember I felt apprehensive about FWW at first, posting under a real name and all. And now it's no big deal...

I like Betty White's reaction to Facebook.... when she was waffling about hosting SNL, people went on FB and Twitter to encourage her to do the show.... and to join them on Facebook..... so she tried it...

In an interview, she said she had tried Face book and found it to be...

A big waste of time.

My sentiments too... much rather have a good old fashion forum...:thumb::thumb:

au contraire Mon fraire, mon Nom de plume is 'Duncan McCallister'. I've used it for documenting much of the code I've written over the years just to stymie my fellow co-workers.

That worked fine until one of my co-workers actually had a cousin named Duncan McCallister. I went to her wedding and actually met him. I'm not sure he understood what I found so amusing about his name...

My family is literally scattered across the country....from sea to shining sea and from near the Canadian Border to near the Mexican border.

I only joined early this year after numerous family members sent me personal emails requesting me to join so we could stay in touch. Mind you I ignored the requests that came directly from Facebook. The requests I was getting were from personal email address from cousins, grandkids, sisters, brother...etc.

I never post when I am going on vacation etc. on FB. In fact, I have quit posting about my trips before I leave on any website.....just for safety sake....burglars.....

What's the attraction of Facebook?

Mike,

The big thing is staying in touch with, and reaching out to, like minded people. I've got about 600 friends, most of them writers. I hear from many of them every day. I hear about their books coming out, where they're publishing pieces, their trials and tribulations, their "finds" of new work people haven't heard about.

You've heard tales of the Algonquin club? That was really about a dozen active people at any one time. Now take that and multiply it by fifty, and extend it around the world. I have writer friends from Istanbul to Sweden, from China to India to Argentina.

Now, take that idea, and expand it to every field you can imagine. If people saw what actually goes on on facebook, as far as intellectual pursuits go, they'd be blown away. It may be the greatest intellectual forum ever invented. But as someone said, like everything else, it's what you make of it... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
There's a lot of folks/family that play the games and use the apps created to interact with facebook. I avoid these and all requests to play/use them. Typically the people that post to please ignore their last post, usually got a virus from them, so my advice it to ignore those requests.

I like most others use it to keep in touch with extended family and see pics of my cousins and their kids. Most stuff I post is after the fact, nothing I'm planning to do.

All in all, I like it and find it worthwhile. I've regained contact with people I knew 30+ years ago. Students, teachers, old band friends, roadies, groupies, school buddies, co-workers, and the like. I've also been able to keep up with some of my cousins that I hadn't talked to in decades. Some of them have kids I didn't even know about. I was able to share in a nephew's wedding that I was unable to attend. And I can follow along in the adventures some of my woodworking friends get themselves into. I avoid any and all of the games, and virtually all of the polls and other such stuff. And I never post anything on there that I wouldn't want anyone else to see. I'm probably more restrained on Facebook than I am here. (And trust me, I hold back a lot here, too.) :D

All in all, I like it and find it worthwhile. I've regained contact with people I knew 30+ years ago. Students, teachers, old band friends, roadies, groupies, school buddies, co-workers, and the like. I've also been able to keep up with some of my cousins that I hadn't talked to in decades. Some of them have kids I didn't even know about. I was able to share in a nephew's wedding that I was unable to attend. And I can follow along in the adventures some of my woodworking friends get themselves into. I avoid any and all of the games, and virtually all of the polls and other such stuff. And I never post anything on there that I wouldn't want anyone else to see. I'm probably more restrained on Facebook than I am here. (And trust me, I hold back a lot here, too.) :D

That about sums it up for me too. Oh "LIKE" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

A lot of my child hood friends use FB to organize reunions, there were some 800 kids in the area I grew up with and we all know of or about ar knew sisters , brothers, most groups were 40 - 50 persons.
I also use it to post up my work. It can hold a lot more and I'm starting to get work from my page now.

Plus I can keep up with my boys. Keeps them honest LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colonial-Restoration-Studios/162715043743781

Like it or not, it is the communicative tool of our times.
I strictly limit the number of 'friends' I have on facebook. Most are relatives but a couple are not. BTW, those who are not are all from here, FW. :)
The presence of FB is forcing a change in the way e-mail is being used. I now get very few true communicative e-mails from friends or relatives. About 90% of e-mails received are now political, faith based or humor. And, yes, I am guilty of sending those as well.
We are able to keep up to date with what our children are doing as they post their activities on FB. On one hand, they don't call as much. OTOH, it is good because the telephone isn't ringing as much as it used to. :rolleyes:
When my son and his family took their nearly year long round the world adventure they posted notes and pictures daily or several times a day. It was a great way to know they were well and keep up with what they were experiencing.
Like it or not, it is an elemental part of life for a large percentage of people today. And, again, like it or not, it will become an essential part of your life eventually.