Monkey Makeover

My organ is finished but I have no monkey! I searched online for the perfect mechanical monkey and came across a toy that was made in the 50's and 60's. The toy was rusted and broken. I replaced a broken motor and sewed a new pair of pants. The monkey interacts with the organ because of an Arduino microcontroller. I also used the guts of an old voice changer toy. The mic from the toy is now used as a sensor to detect a certain level of sound, which
activates the monkey to turn on. Everything is nicely fitted into a small canvas backpack I made. I am excited to test this guy out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUbvyT9MOw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Attachments

• IMG_5392.jpg
    IMG_5392.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5393.jpg
    IMG_5393.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5398.JPG
    IMG_5398.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5399.JPG
    IMG_5399.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 14
Hey Mario I watched that on you tube earlier today but it would not allow me to leave any comments. Anyway. VERY NICE!. That is a nice addition to the organ. The kids are going to love it.

Thanks everyone!! you guys are all awesome :)Thanks Tom :)- I think I changed the settings. Youtube is still kinda new to me. Thanks Rich :), Jim- I wanna hear more about this Larry guy, maybe we're related!llol. thanks Larry :)- Jay started this musical mayhem! Brent-I used to be obsessed with Arduino's, there is soooo many possibility's with these things. Thanks Bob :) thanks Ken :) Jay - see what you started!!!!! lol :)

Beautiful!! Consider hooking the monkey up to activate by a foot pedal so that when you press the pedal he/she claps the cymbals. That way the monkey could keep time to the music by you tapping your foot.

Very cool Mario. You got a lot of flexibility and options there with the mic and micro controller.
How about hooking up a better mic very much closer to a specific pipe. Whatever it looks like a load of fun.

sent from my Atrix

Mario, that is too cool. :D I'd not heard of Arduino microcontrollers before. (I'm way out of date on DIY electronics.) Looks like they can do a whole bunch of stuff. I need to spend some quality Google time studying them more and learning about them. :thumb:

Ted and Rob- I am so glad I posted this. Both of those ideas are sooooo goood!!!! The foot pedal makes me think of a one man bad thing. It makes so much sense to keep in rhythm. Rob- I could extend the mic to one of the pipes and decrease the sensitivity, so that it acts as an air pressure sensor, so when a certain pipe blows that could activate the monkey. I am loving those ideas. Jay- "My New Monkey"LOL I just watched a video of Larry on Tom's youtube channel. He needs to be in my magic show! lol
Vaughn- a few years back the Arduino flipped my world around. Imagine controlling any type of motor/lights with a few written codes from your computer. Once you learn the basics, you can control anything! muhahahahahaah :) Thanks Ken! :)