Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Knows about Black Bears?

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Who Here Knows about Black Bears?

I was at the dr.'s today (that's another thread) and LOML was home and found a black bear on our patio when he was going to let the dogs out. Wonderful. The older dog hung back and barked, but the younger smaller (female) dog went berserk and "chased" the bear over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

LOML was, of course, furious that our dog does not "come" when she's called. I love my dogs, but I'm sorry, bulldogs are not the brightest crayons in the box. We called the Wildlife folks who said that dogs are usually a good deterrent and they weren't too alarmed about our bear. (I think you have to get dead first).

But I remember being in central British Columbia where it was not uncommon for bears to kill small backyard dogs. So are my dogs safe or what? I'm not putting them on a leash to take them out for a pee.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Is there is anything in your yard to attract the bear again. Bird feeders? Dog food?? Grease in a grill??? Compost pile???? If there are any of these, the bear may be back.

Bears are constantly looking for food and once they find a source, they keep coming back for more. If your yard is "clean", it shouldn't be back, especially since your dog chased it away. It is probably a young male looking for a new home, and since all the good spots in the wild are taken by older bears, he is cruising the neighborhood.

Here are some pictures from my old stomping grounds for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.adn.com/2011/05/05/184711...sightings.html
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

We have several black bears visit the back yard several times a month. They like the bird feeder.
    They run away if the dogs bark or if I go outside. Besides from ripping down my feeders they are no problem unless they are protective Mom's with cubs. Best to steer clear.
    The worst part of black bears is people think they are cute. They anger the Mother bear then call the police because the bear scared them. Usually the bear ends up on the losing side.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton View Post
    Is there is anything in your yard to attract the bear again. Bird feeders? Dog food?? Grease in a grill??? Compost pile???? If there are any of these, the bear may be back.....
    Barry, we took down all the feeders except 2 hummingbird feeders on our deck (up a flight of outside stairs). No compost pile, no dog food. But yes, there is a big BBQ on the patio. We want to move it up onto the deck, but it's too heavy for me to move it with LOML. I guess it's getting urgent to move it, eh?
    AKA The Rookie

Your yard sounds pretty clean actually. Keep your eyes open and see if it comes back before getting a hernia moving a grill! I'm betting a neighbor or two will have much better bear chow in their yards.
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

well, one neighbor has 2 bigger dogs than ours, one neighbor has a dog and 2 horses, but I worry about the 3rd neighbor. Super nice elderly folks...no dogs....the wife is in poor health......big veggie garden....they have a big parcel too.....
    AKA The Rookie

Blacks are dangerous Cynthia and there has already been reports of people already being attacked this year and one dog dead. With the snow pack still around the bears regular feeding grounds are not producing so they are down in our neck of the woods. barking dogs will just tick off a bear enough that they make attack. The wildlife guys say to keep them inside when bears are around.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

The only thing I know about bears, I learned from this sign.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grizzly_bear_warning_sign-500x373.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    The only thing I know about bears, I learned from this sign.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Well given the length of concentration spans today i dont see to many reading that sign and if it were my NN he would not understand the first word. Hang on thought of that could have good consequences.

I dunno all this talk of Bears in Canada I dont see evidence and after spending two weeks driving through Alberta and BC in late Oct one year and not spotting a single sign of bears i think the likes of Larry have them all in his house mounted.
    cheers