Who Here Knows about Black Bears?

barry has given you some real good advice, and he has come from some major bear territory.. amongst this thread there has been talk of this or that and how hard they are to kill.. well i have had some experience in that area as well..have not lived in Alaska or Alberta or Canada, but have spent a fair amount of time in Canada and some in Alaska and have hunted bears several times. have taken 4 with a bow, and one was down for the count in 15yrds. so they are not super animals if the proper methods are used but i dont want you folks to think that just because you see one that it needs to be taken out.. it doesnt...if you, cynthia have more encounters with this bear just call the ministries and let them handle it.. if you feel the need for protection then i would suggest the shotgun like vaughn mentioned,, in my years of hunting them that was the weapon of choice for the tracking of the animals..in case there had been a poor hit and it wasnt over yet..second choice is the large caliber handgun but they are for close range only..and i dont mean a 22 cal.. the bone structure of them is tougher than one thinks. and the muscle structure is by far more resistant than has been mentioned..i have feed by hand cubs when on a fishun trip in Canada and the sow was just acting like it was just free hand out day many had feed her and her cubs.. they can be friendly and then turn on you, i was wrong for feeding the cubs.. and i also have been between a sow and her cubs on more than one occasion,, thats not a place to be, it went ok in my case but could have been disastrous ,, for the most part blacks are not the hunters like a grizzly is,, they rather avoid us..do a search of bear attacks and you will find that grizzly's and feed bears are the ones that get into trouble..dont be a hero, and if your close enough for pepper spray your to close to them..