Pacific Northwest Whine

Bill Satko

While the most of country is experiencing hell on earth with high humid temperatures day after day, we in the Pacific Northwest are experiencing a cooler summer than normal. Seattle has something like 78 minutes of weather over 80 degrees so far this summer. The local news is all over it, calling it the “78 minutes of summer”.

Personally my wife and I consider this to be one of the best summers of our life. We love the cooler weather and I suspect that most native born (like we are) feel the same way. But I am getting real tired of hearing people complain about how terrible the weather is here. Granted most are newcomers, but some are native born who probably should have moved to SoCal long ago. Everyday at work, I listen to a few who think their world is ending because it is not clear and in the 80’s or 90’s.

I don’t get it. Why move here or stay here (if you were born here) if that is what you want for weather. This is the Pacific Northwest, not the Southwest.

I enjoy all aspects of our weather whether it is sunny, raining or snowing. I just go with the flow. This morning when I came to work, it was raining, but right now it is party sunny and a wonderful 64 degrees. I took my normal lunch walk and enjoyed the cool breeze and bursts of sun as it appeared between clouds. Although the mountains to the East were hid by the high clouds, the heavily forested foothills were visible. The air was fresh and alive with the clean scent that you get after a rain. I was thinking it was a great day.

I live in SE Washington, those in Seattle don't even claim my part of the state but we are having a great summer. Today 81, sunny (of coarse, we see the sun over 300 days a year) and a light breeze. Normally this time of year it hovering around 100 but it is pretty dry here so not so bad. Not as pretty country here as the Seattle area, but not bad, I like the desert and open space.

My whine is the people that move here because they didn't like where they came from and they proceed to try to change everything to what it was like where they came from. What's up with that??

Last edited:
Was at the New Jersey shore today.

Humid and 85 with a 15-20 mph southern wind.

We got 5 miles off the shore and the temp was 100 and it was 95 at home.

Pacific northwest huh? LOML likes it cool . . . .

20 years to retirement . . .

Jim

My whine is the people that move here because they didn't like where they came from and they proceed to try to change everything to what it was like where they came from. What's up with that??

Shoot...that happens everywhere. I have observed that the majority of the members of the two local Boards of Supervisors are new comers with less than ten years in the area. Many older local land owners whose kids don't want to farm anymore have hundreds of acres they have been counting on developers to buy for their retirement income. They have been stymied by new comers who, now that they have lived here a few years, have taken control of the boards, don't want the rural nature of the community to change and have enacted rules restricting development....without any compensation to landowners. The bottom line is ...if the natives don't want change ya gotta make sure locals run for office and comprise the majority of the rule making political body.

Paul.....Bill.....quit telling everyone how great it is here. We'll have a bigger quicker expansion than we are already experiencing!:doh:

It's terrible here! It is only 78ºF and normally it's over 100ºF! The local AC repair people are being laid off because we aren't using our AC's enough and they aren't breaking. The electric comany is talking about laying folks off because of reduced consumption of electricity.

We had a higher than normal snow falls this past winter...a cooler than normal spring and summer. The rivers are still flowing high with snow melt runoff.

It's been terrible!

You couldn't get me out of here with a load of dynamite.

:D

I'd love to live in a climate like you described, Bill. I like cooler temps and rain. Unfortunately, my SoCal born and bred wife has a comfort range from about 71º F to 77º F. She acts as if a light sprinkle is a deluge...puts on rain boots to go from the house to her car (about 4 steps) if it's sprinkling. So I don't picture us moving up there. :rolleyes: Instead, I'll just sit here and be jealous of all you PNW folks.

We've had a relatively mild summer here in LA so far this year. I just know that some time in September or October, the weather will make up for lost time and give us a good roasting.

I am right there with ya Bill as I am from Victoria and have lived in northern BC and Alberta and there is no place like it here. If someone wants to complain about the weather and the rain try living in Prince Rupert where it rains 9 months of the year and the last 3 months are cloud. ( I kid you not) Right now the bush needs this weather. :thumb: