Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sharpening?

sharpening?

this isnt quite woodworking but it is close, it affects a tool used in the craft..
    does anyone here sharpen scissors? and if so can you explain how you do it. i have couple pair that after cutting some double sided tape i found they needed to be sharper and they dont cut paper patterns well either.. so if anyone is proficient at it here would you post some info on what and how.. thanks and my mom will thank you to after i learn how
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry do you have access to any type of grinder like a Tormek or Jet? There is a jig made for those to sharpen scissors. Otherwise if you have a bench grinder, just like you would sharpen a chisel, set the rest relative to the stone so it will grind the correct angle on the scissors. The few times I have had to sharpen a pair I just used the scissors themselves as the guide and just ran then lightly over the stone then cooled them in a glass of water until I got them back to being sharp.

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-TORMEK-.../dp/B0000223ZE

Is the issue the sticky residue left that is causing the scissors to grab and tear rather then slice?

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Are those scissors slowing down your cutting out paper dolls?

Let me know if you figure it out, and I'll send you about 30 pairs of dull scissors.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    Are those scissors slowing down your cutting out paper dolls?

Let me know if you figure it out, and I'll send you about 30 pairs of dull scissors.

WOW!

I don't have the jig yet...but my Griz will do nicely. Then you can use them to cut out Cynthia look a like dolls!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

This is a good clip on scissor sharpening.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDaLNpdOYC8
    "Have no fear of perfection--you'll never reach it."
    ---Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Krager View Post
    This is a good clip on scissor sharpening.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDaLNpdOYC8
    thanks jim that will work just fine!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I didn't watch all the video because I disagree with the first part. I sharpen hair scissors, fabric scissors, and paper scissors, all the same way.

Never sharpen, grind, or alter the sides that slide against each other. If they don't slide against each other smoothly over the length of the cut (watching the point where the two sides start to touch as you close the scissors), you will never get them to cut well - someone has probably tried to sharpen by grinding or honing that surface and ruined the scissors.

To sharpen, you grind the part that is almost vertical to the sides that ride against each other. A quick pass on a grinding wheel is all it takes. It should be a very quick pass, since you aren't removing much metal at all, just refreshing the edge which probably became slightly rounded.

A barber explained that you had to do barber shears on a grinding wheel, with the wheel running across the blade, not on a stone, so there would be a microscopic serration of the blade and the hair would not slide as the scissors closed. That idea works great, and seems to apply to other shears as well. If you feel a burr when you try to cut after sharpening, just cut a piece of paper 2-3 times, and it will remove most burrs. (Paper dulls scissors, so don't cut any more paper than necessary with the precision scissors)

My wife's fabric shears are far more expensive than the barber shears, but I sharpen them the same way, except double check that there are no rough spots in the ground surface that might catch the fabric. (Use a very fine grinding wheel). I have a Tormek, but do the shears on a bench grinder.

My wife has some tiny surgical shears that were liberated from a hospital many years ago - small enough to do eye surgery - I do those on a stone rather than a grinding wheel since they are so tiny, but move across the blades to give the "don't slip" serrations recommended by the barber.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

I have a very nice hand held knife sharpener I bought at Gander Mountain that has two slots for scissors. Seems to work as well on them as it does on knives!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING