Thread: NOVA 2024 DVR

NOVA 2024 DVR

I stumbled upon the page for a new, bigger Nova DVR...hadn't heard anything about it before...has anyone else? The cast iron stand comes standard with it...Looks pretty impressive to me! No idea on price though.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/la.../NOVA_2024.htm
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

That looks good.

I bet Larry just can't wait to get his paws on this one.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Per their catalogue about $3000.....page 7.
    http://www.teknatool.com/products/ca...A_2011_web.pdf

The new Comet also looks really interesting for $500. The idea of using the handwheel side as a p.t.o. may help in some situations.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Remember the old Nova DVR head pivots so you can turn headstock work even larger than 20 inches. They offer an optional outboard tool rest that helps with larger pieces.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Interesting looking rig, Jeff. Good to see Teknatool pushing the state of their art ahead some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Remember the old Nova DVR head pivots so you can turn headstock work even larger than 20 inches. They offer an optional outboard tool rest that helps with larger pieces.
    True, but the outrigger tool rest supports are quite a bit more prone to vibration than the standard banjo and tool rest.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Interesting looking rig, Jeff. Good to see Teknatool pushing the state of their art ahead some more.

True, but the outrigger tool rest supports are quite a bit more prone to vibration than the standard banjo and tool rest.
    This is just one of the reasons.

I think I'll stick with turning large items off the end of the Grizzly G0698 when the time comes as they seem to have worked out the bugs in the VFD. It is 18" diameter & 47" between centers & falls between the Jet 1642 & the PM 3520B. And for $1400 & the fact that I can take delivery right at the source in Bellingham, I think it's pretty much a no brainer.

With the length of the G0698 I can build a nice roll around cabinet with drawers & maybe slide out shelves that would roll underneath the lathe when not in use.

Ever notice quite a few manufactures list their lathes a by swing & then length between centers & PM is just the opposite?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    That looks good.

I bet Larry just can't wait to get his paws on this one.
    actually the contacted me to run a review of this 2 years ago before i had gotten the specialized training from vaughn,, at that time the weight to speed ratio was alittel off, it needed more speed to be effective for my use, i t did have the other part under control in that it would make a solid station to work from.. so my overall summary to them was that it need more speed and larger propeller to power my boat across large bodies of water, but ti did work very well to anchor my boat as a solid station to fish the particular hot spot i had wanted to fish at the time,, so it got a total score on the range of 5 fingers being the best score to a 2 fingers and 1 thumb,, it held me right where i dropped it over the side and it held me there long enough to catch a mess of fish
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ... it held me right where i dropped it over the side and it held me there long enough to catch a mess of fish
    Sounds pretty useful, then, Larry!

Axtually, if you completely remove the headstock, banjo, and tailstock, the lathe bed makes a fairly decen outfeed rest for the tablesaw or planer.

See, lathes aren't COMPLETELY useless.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Sounds pretty useful, then, Larry!

Axtually, if you completely remove the headstock, banjo, and tailstock, the lathe bed makes a fairly decen outfeed rest for the tablesaw or planer.

See, lathes aren't COMPLETELY useless.
    Jim the funny thing about your comment is that most turner's TS's are useful for stacking blanks, tools and shavings! See tablesaws aren't completely useless....
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website