Moving Wood across the yard.

So this is what I did today. Now I know for you guys this is nothing. Nothing! I'm sure Larry or Vaughn could do it with their eyes closed and one hand and one foot tied behind their backs. But for me, this was not an easy task.

I moved these. I put an empty pop can on top for scale. Tomorrow they go in the shop. (just a few feet)

woodmove.jpg

Maybe 200' uphill across the yard. Took me about half an hour to figure out how to do it myself after Plan A didn't work (rolling them).

I used these:

woodmove2.jpg

woodmove3.jpg

woodmove5.jpg

Well, I'm no expert, but I'm thinking those slabs will need to be aged for a while to dry out before you can use them. As they are they will probably crack and split pretty quickly...

You may want to get some advice from the experts on what to do, but at a minimum, I'd suggest doing whatever you can to prevent them from starting to dry out...

Good job Cynthia. I was thinking the same as Brent about the tractor & cart.

Brent, I think she already painted the slabs ends with some old latex paint, if I am correct, Cynthia?

Aloha, Tony

Now go take it easy.

...I'm sure Larry or Vaughn could do it with their eyes closed and one hand and one foot tied behind their backs. But for me, this was not an easy task...

I can't speak for Larry, but in my case the eyes closed and hand tied is workable, but when I have the foot tied too, I tend to scrape my knee a lot. I laughed out loud at your last photo, though.:D

I think Brent's right...it's going to take a while for the wood to dry and stabilize. there's a good chance that the whole-slice "cookies" will want to crack, regardless of what you use to coat the exposed wood. Sealing it will potentially help reduce and amount of cracking, but you should probably expect cracks at least to some extent. Not a real big thing, though. Chances are, the cracks could be filled with epoxy as part of the finishing process.

My current avatar shows my buddy Ginger, I am in the process of training her to drive/pull. Hopefully I won't then need your last photo's item. Alas, the whole process of feeding and cleaning up after her creates that need!:huh::rofl::rofl: If you lived closer, we could have helped you. :thumb::thumb:

Cynthia,
If you are going to make a habit of moving big chunks of wood and can't afford a tractor, consider getting a nurseryman's ball cart. These are designed to move very heavy balled and burlapped trees and work great on short logs and sections. Mine has a 1000# capacity and large tires. I have a very bad back and can't lift anything heavy or I suffer. With the ball cart you just tip the chunk of wood onto the lift platform and then tilt the handles back to balance the load over the tires. I'd be lost without mine.
Most of them look like this:
http://www.toolsandsuppliesforless.net/store/product_info.php?products_id=60022