Enduro water based finish

Rob Keeble

The big day has arrived. My vanity project is finally complete. Now i was hoping to begin finidhing today. Got some Enduro WB finish planning on spraying it but neef a quick answer to weather issue.

Can this finish be sprayed with high humidity??? Will it dry will i have any issues?

Should i wait or go brush on instead in this weather?

Thanks for any help.

P.s. Mike Captain Marvel and Rich S i reread your last feedback again and it was excellent and made more sense 2nd time around.

sent from my Atrix

if your sprayun inside with ac rob your dry in there if your outside with high humidity then thats another story..thats all i can do to help on water born finish dont use it..

Thanks Larry but my concern is witth the lacquer in high humidity i would get white spots from moisture???

You saying not to use the WB stuff at all???

Was thinking perhaps inside but worried about kicking up dust so better out but humidity today as i type from my weather station is 83%.

sent from my Atrix

Last edited:
no that isnt what i said.... i am saying that i have no expeiernce with water base finishes.. and the ac running in there will give you a dry environment to spray which is good.. AC takes the humidity out of the air..

Rob, I am not familiar with Enduro but I use many of Target Coatings water base products, including their water base lacquer that has full burn in.

With solvent based lacquer, temperature was little or no problem, but as you note, humidity was a major issue. With water base lacquer, and other water base finishes I use, humidity is no problem, but temperature is a major issue.

I have sprayed Target WB lacquer well into the evening, after dark ... just one more coat by the garage or deck lights. When the humidity has skyrocketed with the cooler night air. I have sprayed WB lacquer when it felt like it was going to rain. No problem until you get that first sprinkle, when the lacquer is still wet and the burn in is in process... that sprinkle doesn't just hurt the latest coat, it destroys all the previous coats which have been softened by the burn in process. DAMHIK. With the mid-day Texas sun beating down I could (if necessary) spray solvent lacquer at mid day, but it is too hot for the water-base chemistry to work right... I now wait until evening for water based finishes. When the humidity is very high, a coat may take 20-30 minutes to dry, rather than 5-10 minutes, but the finish ends up the same.

The problem with solvent lacquer and humidity was that it cooled as the solvent evaporated, which allowed moisture to condense in the lacquer, leaving a cloudy finish. With water-based lacquer, the water is not a solvent, but keeps the cure-chemistry from starting. Once the water is gone, the complex chemistry that makes magic in the finish begins.

Once the finish is applied, it needs to flow slightly before it dries. For spray, the atomized droplets have to flow together; for brush strokes, the bristle lines need to level. Should you brush instead of spray? Only if the dry time is slow enough to allow the finish to flatten (and collect any dust within miles or km). Bottom line, I practically never brush.

Hi Rob, I have been spraying this batch of enduro since May as parts for this kitchen are finished and ready to go. I agree with Dave that early morning or late in the day are best right now. I haven't had too many problems with the humidity, other than when I have had to brush some parts and it set too quickly. I have had good results with spraying at those times. (I have to spray outside right now and I have a large shelter set up to keep everything protected) If you are in the AC then you should be fine anyway other than the finish likes to be aroun 70 degrees for optimum.

Good luck!

Thanks Larry,Dave and Charlie.

Reading the instructions it considers ideal conditions to be 70 F and 70% humidity to be ideal conditions.
Drying time is 2 - 4 hours.

I think i will clean up my shop as best as i can and air the place out. Then if i can get it cooler later will try out on scrap and see where it goes.
Said to loml come this far aint gonna wreck it just to get er done.

w

sent from my Atrix

Water based finishes may dry faster in warmer weather (which does not affect the sheen). I have no problem spraying in high humidity, and I'm in a location a couple of degrees latitude off from the Congo.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Yesterday, with outside temp at 95°F (35°C), and himidity at 92%, I sprayed (inside my air conditioned shop) four coats of M.L. Campbell Agualents® Pre-Cat water-based lacquer. The results were just beautiful. Nice even coating, and no blush. I used a Harbor Freight (!) gravity-feed HVLP conversion gun with a 1.8mm needle/jet.

BTW, Woodcraft just recently came out with a sweet little gravity-fed touch-up gun. It has a 100cc cup, and the gun itself is very compact, with a 0.8mm needle/jet. Hard to go wrong for US$29.95. I put a separate regulator on mine, and about 18psi at the regulator gives a spray pressure of about 8~9psi. Works great, and btw, the little in-the-cup filter screens they sell at Harbor Freight fit this little gun perfectly.