Thread: How do you remove bark?

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

How do you remove bark?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question (my strong suit), but how do I remove the bark from a chunk of wood to send a piece to someone? (I have to take bark off to send it across the border). For example a crotch piece with bark all around......?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodmove.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	58286
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

on maple its not to hard,, take look at it like a large orange, take start a strip with a hammer and screw driver or chisel and get it opened up then just work under it witha thin pry bar after that to get the rest off.. and when sending wrap in plastic bag to keep the moisture in the wood and not soften your box..gonna be pricey girl.. green wood weighs up fast
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Like Larry said, just sorta peel. Different wood behave differently. Stage of drying and season cut makes a difference also. Cedars and pines I use a large knife or drawknife.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks guys. Yeah, I don't have a drawknife which is why I asked. and yeah, Larry, I know it won't be cheap. I figure a couple of cubic inches and he can make a thimble.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 07-23-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: grammar
    AKA The Rookie

You get a bark collar. They work I have a noisy dog next door and it works on him.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

You want a piece Drew? You can have the bark too. I'll sprinkle some anti-creepy-crawlers on it.
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    You want a piece Drew? You can have the bark too. I'll sprinkle some anti-creepy-crawlers on it.
    I will take anything that you are willing to get rid of Cynthia. I never turn down free wood. you should see my driveway right now.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Great. I have a lovely ugly knobby burly piece with your name on it. I have to cut it down a bit. I'll send it on the bus, and let you know.

Anybody else in Canada want a piece of ugly green maple knobby burly maybe spalted crotch? Send me a PM.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 07-23-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    AKA The Rookie

Burly knobby spalted crotch??? hope I never get one of those!!

Maybe there's an ointment for that?

sorry couldn't help myself... been lurking and greatly enjoying these forums for a few months now and couldn't let that one slide by...

Guess I better go find the forum for saying Gday and introduce myself now

Draw knives work well on a log or longer piece than what it looks like you have. The chisel or pry bar method will probably work best for your situation. I am under the understanding that wood cut in the summer loses its bark easier as the layer is filled with sap, winter cut wood, the sap is down/gone thus the bark is tighter to the tree/wood. That is why I was always told to get wood harvested in the winter for natural edge bowls.

Honestly you are probably going to split that quite a few times to get to the piece you want, it might not have any bark on it by the time you get to it.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING