a learning experience

Ron Roase

This started out to be a small box with through dove tales and it was made from maple flooring. After cutting all the dove tails And adry assembly,I was not a happy camper. Acouple were loose. I know how to tighten them,so after cuting and fitting small pieces of maple into the joints they were OK. But it bothered me as on the front you could see they were not all the same size. Then I thought I would try my hand at useing vineer. Never had done it before. I had some that had been around for a long time and decided to use it to cover the box and hide my sins. Not sure even what the type of vineer it was .... Oak or hickery.Also I am another guy who flies by the seat of my pants. All plans are in my head nothing on paper. Resawed and plained wood for thedrawers and made up my own Quarter round for molding. Then get a idea for a secret compartment held in place with rare earth magnets. Any way it kept be in whare it was cool in the several days that we had 100 plus
degres.:rofl::D2 drawer box 1.JPG

2 drawer box 2.JPG

Secret compartment.JPG

Quarter round & Vineer.JPG

That came out great Ron. Fun to have those experiences where you get to learn something and pull off a save at the same time! :thumb: :thumb:

One other thing I forgot to mention ..... I used the Earlex Sprayer to put the finish on. I put on about 6 coates of shalac and let it dry for about 6 days. Then rubbed it out first with 320 then 600 wet or dry. I used a mixture of dish soap & water in a spray bottle for a lubricant. It gives a very smooth finish then I put on a coat of Bri wax. Slicker than ..... just use your imagination. Am not use to letting a finish set up that long before rubbing it out but found the extra wait time to be a good thing.:D:thumb::rofl: