Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My weekend trip to see Mom and Dad. Caution: picture heavy.

My weekend trip to see Mom and Dad. Caution: picture heavy.

Well, I mentioned in the Friday thread that my parents decided to move to an assisted living center, last Tuesday!!! LOML and I went up to kind of go through things, see if there was anything we wanted, and help with some plans for the new apartment. I went through the shop stuff and picked out a few things.
    First, compressor. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2930.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	58319 It's not great, but it works and has much larger capacity than my 2 gallon portable.
    Second, jars of screws and bolts and various other items. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2931.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	58321 There is also a segmented metal tray with smaller screws in. Forgot to get a picture of it. Not real sure what some of these items are. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2932.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	58322
    Third, Box of files and rasps, and some drill bits of various sizes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2933.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	58323 I could have had a bunch of big bits, but they had an end that fitted into a slot like they were machinists bits. Too large to chuck up into anything I have. There was also a thread cutter. Pretty wicked looking, but nothing I could use.
    Fourth, these three pictures of the same thing, we couldn't figure out what they were. May also be machinist tools. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2934.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	58324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2935.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	58325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2936.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	58320 Anyone have an idea???
    Fifth, pics of an outside mic, and not sure what the other box is. Inside mics of some sort? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2937.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	58326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2938.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	58327 And a picture of the ends of the box with, I presume, a model number. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2939.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	58328
    And finally, no picture of this because it's already buried in the garage between the mower and the cart, a small generator. Often times we have wished we had one when we lost power. It won't run the whole house, but it will keep the fridge and freezer going, or run the microwave to be able to cook something to eat.
    I still have a few pieces of lumber to bring home. LOML brought some Fostoria glass ware home. Neither one of us know why. And we are trying to decide about a punch bowl, ladle, and glass cake plate and cover. Not something we would ever use, but the punch bowl is supposed to be worth about 800.00. Mom said to sell it and keep the money.
    Now to go back up next weekend and help them move. This is not going to be fun. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I'm sure it wasn't easy for you, and it won't be any better next time. They, I'm sure, didn't find it easy to make that decision. When it's over, you will find comfort and satisfaction in knowing that you helped them through a difficult time in their lives.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

It's tough. Went through that with my dad who fought tooth and nail about going, but actually enjoyed all the new friendships that he made. If the town he had lived in had in-home care we could have opted for that, but there just wasn't.

I wish your parents well and lots of new friendships.

at least they are alert and know whats is going on and made the decision themselves, they are doing what they want done and you are there to help them threw it..some parents dont have kids that care that much,
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

You are all very right. They already have friends there. The problem is almost all of the residents are women. Won't be many guys for my Dad to shoot the bull with. And no shop to tinker around in, or others that need things fixed. The complex has a handy man on staff to work on the building. I think they would have stayed in their lake house if they felt they could have longer term. Now if they can sell it. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, 24X24 shop (currently divided into shop and living quarters), 12X24 detached building/shop/boat storage. RV shed. Cellar. 1.3 acres. About 150 yards off Lake Texhoma. My youngest niece is going to go ballistic when she finds out Grandma and Granddad are selling it! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    You are all very right. They already have friends there. The problem is almost all of the residents are women. Won't be many guys for my Dad to shoot the bull with. And no shop to tinker around in, or others that need things fixed. The complex has a handy man on staff to work on the building. I think they would have stayed in their lake house if they felt they could have longer term. Now if they can sell it. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, 24X24 shop (currently divided into shop and living quarters), 12X24 detached building/shop/boat storage. RV shed. Cellar. 1.3 acres. About 150 yards off Lake Texhoma. My youngest niece is going to go ballistic when she finds out Grandma and Granddad are selling it! Jim.
    why dont you buy it jim?? thats one fine piece of real estate

That is a sad and emotional transition that I did not have to go through. Both of my parents lived in the family home up until the last couple days. I was also lucky from the standpoint that each of them was ready to die.

I bring Glenn in on my tool purchases...after all he is going to inherit them and he really investigates them so he knows what's good and what gives problems.

I am ready to die, which should help the kids emotionally. Don't get me wrong. I want to live every possible second that I can. However, the most horrible thing I can picture is living when my brain becomes a vegetable. The problem for me is to be able to opt out before I don't have enough sense to do so.

Bless you,

Jim

That sounds like philosophy not wood working.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Just to make sure I haven't painted the wrong picture here, both parents are still in pretty good shape. Dad is losing his eyesight, and therefore will not drive. Self imposed thank goodness. Mom still drives but has her issues with joint pain. Both are still very sharp mentally. This is not a nursing home, but they have their own apartment that is in a complex. There is a nurse on staff for emergencies. There is a common meal if they choose to do it at lunch. But they have a full kitchen to prepare their own meals. Free to come and go as they please. Just bought a new car a couple months ago. So not a heavy-hearted thing. Sad that Dad's eyesight won't allow him to build and repair things as he has done all of his life. This is something they have been contemplating for a year or more, just made the decision all of a sudden. At least to me, I'm sure it wasn't that way for them.
    I'm hoping they will get a computer to make it easier for me to write. They haven't had internet before, but can have it now. I'll even donate my old computer I was going to put in the shop and get an updated video card in it so they can plug into the HDMI input on their big screen TV so maybe Dad can read easier.
    Larry, I can't afford it!! It's not high end, but LOML and I are stretched pretty thin as it is with her medical issues this past year, and some just about to happen for me. No way I could take on that type of payment for something I might see 3 or 4 times a year. Maybe if we were close to retirement.
    Well, I'm rambling. Thanks for all the comments! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 07-24-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

Jim,
    As for the tools, pix 5-7 might be some type of collet but I have no idea how they are used. Pic 9 going from left to right appears to have 2 inside mics, a small hole (bore) gauge to be used with outside mics, and the balance are telescope gauges also to be used with outside mics for measuring the diameter of a hole. Pic 10, on the right, is inside mics. Feel free to ask questions about use, etc.

And as for rambling--no problem. Do it here if it helps you feel better. We are family you know.
    Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-24-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

i was thinking of you moving in full time then i would drop back down say hey to the buds and go fishun