Turning Fir

Rich Soby

I was over a friends house framing up a section of wall where I am going to be installing some built ins. He has several "fake" beams throughout the house to give it that post and beam look. In his masterbedroom they put too many in and it looked real busy. Anyway he told me if I helped him take some down he would give them to me. 2 are 4x8 and one is 6x8 green airdried fir that was all hand adzed. I am planning on machining some for a set of legs and frame for my work bench but I will still have quite a bit left over and one of my thoughts was to use it for turnings. Maybe try my hand a making a chair or two.
I know kd fir can be a real son of a gun when being routed as it tends to blow out but how does air dried fir behave? Can I expect some good results or should I try and turn it from behind a bunker?:eek:

No first-hand experience turning fir, but I've seen other folks turn it with success. I'm told it's easier to get a good cut in fir than in pine, but it's still prone to tearout if your tools aren't sharp.

I have never had a large enough piece of fir to to much more than turn a pen or a box from a piece of 4X4. However there is a world class turner/artist named Bill Luce who does incredible turnings with Douglas fir. And I do mean incredible.

Here is a link to his site: http://www.billluce.com/

Once you get to his gallery take a look in the "Recent Work" section and there are a number of Douglas fir pieces.

Just finished turning about a dozen file handles using 2X4 Douglas Fir scrap. Even with sharp tools the turning is rough-textured, no matter the speed. However, sanding & poly makes the finished product more than acceptable for the purpose.

Mike