Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A welcomed "Mole" in my side driveway and backyard

A welcomed "Mole" in my side driveway and backyard

I wanted the galvanized domestic water lines to our house replaced with copper. Our house was the middle house of a series built and everybody else has had their galvanized domestic water line rust out. Our galvanized "irrigation" water line has already rusted out.

So....I hired this guy to replace them. He digs a 3'x3'x3' hole every 30'or so and uses this pneumatic mole to drill a hole and when it comes up at the other end, he puts a rope in the hole at it's nose. He then reverses direction and it backs out with a line attached to pull a steel cable through the hole. To that he attaches the copper line and pulls it through. To reverse direction, he twists the air hose about 4 turns in the other direction and it reverses it's direction.

Pretty neat.

Attachment 58363

Attachment 58364

Attachment 58365

Kansas City, Missouri
    That's pretty cool. I assume he has to go by feel to know if it's deviating from its path or finds a rock.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Reno NV
    Not only is that a cool tool, but that looks like one of the cleanest dug holes I've ever seen...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Actually.....he aims it at the next hole...... 30 or so feet away......and his only concern is to keep it level as it digs from the current hole. In one photo you can see him with his foot on top the tool. It hit some hard earth and the back was kicking up so he held it down until the 4' length of the tool was completely in the hole. Then it just continues to "dig". It's acutually pounding internally like a pile driver drives a hole horizontally.

5. #5 can feel it "hammering" in the ground by just walking over the earth. I am deaf and coulf barely hear it once it got totally inside the hole it was pounding but you can definitely feel it and accurately tell it's current location. I did it just out of curiosity.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    That is really neat Sure saves replanting seed all over you lawn. I think i saw something like this on This Old house.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

London, Ontario
    3ft deep!?!? wow, what is your frost line there?

My water line comes UP through the floor of the basement, so that is at least 6-7ft down in the ground...

ps: ditto what Brent said about the pristine clean hole!
    There's usually more than one way to do it... ........

8. #8 code is 3'. I would bet our frostline is at best 18" maybe less. We sit in the Lewis-Clark Valley and the temperatures are relatively mild compared to the surrounding country.

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    We used one of those about ten years ago to drag a 3" PVC pipe (for a commercial irrigation system) under a four lane street. It took less than half a day. Amazing to watch, too!
    Jim D.

Honolulu, Hawaii

A welcomed "Mole" in my side driveway and backyard

We used a machine to do almost the same thing when I worked for a gas pipeline company. We drove 12" steel casing under a road, but our machine also had an auger to draw out the dirt from the inside of the pipe. It was amazing to see the pipe disappearing into the ground from the trench we had to start in. Then when it got almost all the way in, they stopped, pulled the driver and auger off and I welded the next section of pipe on and it began again. That was back in New York state.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.