Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: acoustics and my garage

acoustics and my garage

I dont know if Im going to have more problems with code enforcement or not, but I notice a difference in sound by just closing my plastic garage door. a big difference.
    I hung 2 sheets 6 inches in front of the overhead door inside and noticed the noise actually sounds less, as if the sheets actually catch or deflect a tiny bit of sound.
    I dont want to invest alot of money. I wont invest much.
    Im going to hang on a curtain pole inside the garage a heavy tarp or two blocking the overhead door to start.
    Might help might not help. Not more than a 20 dollar investment.

Im going to be taking down the lumber rack and the back wall of the garage starting Aug 2 or 3rd when the shed is up.
    My point of this thread-Can I just buy some of that pink board or blue boards I see in the borgs and place them inside the open studs in the wall to deflect some sound?
    The stuff is cheap, and I dont see why it wont deflect some of the sound back into the garage.
    Is there another product anyone knows of that will deflect/soften the sound to the outside of the garage that I can buy cheap and cut quickly and insert between studs?

Spray foam (not cheap) but works real good. next would be to insulate with fiberglass and cover the inside with sound board. (some call it duck board)
    http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/ec..._board.htm?d=0
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Allen, the pink or blue foam board will help absorb and muffle some of the sound. It's not as effective as the options Chuck mentioned, but it is less expensive.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Not sure how this would apply, but for the bigger noise makers, if you can isolate them off the concrete floor, maybe with some kind of foam, and make sure that they aren't directly attached to any walls, will help to prevent the noise and vibrations from migrating through the structure.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Back when we attempted making music in my garage, we took the cheap white styrofoam sheets{2" IIRC} and cut them into 2'x 8'strips and taped the joints
    back together taping every other side, making it accordion style...easy to store or move. When set up, we left it wavy similar to this> ^^^^^^^^ the
    hills & valleys {so to say} help break up the sound waves, also leaving it an inch or so from the studs created a little semi dead air space, which seemed
    to help some as well....never got a complaint about the music from next door...although I can't say the same about the hours we kept

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Spray foam (not cheap) but works real good. next would be to insulate with fiberglass and cover the inside with sound board. (some call it duck board)
    http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/ec..._board.htm?d=0
    I looked into some of these acoustical rolls and sheets.
    The prices are way too high for me to want to do it.
    I dont want to invest 1500 and up dollars and then find out I have to pack up and leave anyway.
    Your solution is the best, but even duck board with insulation will run me alot.
    Id rather put it towards tools and wood.
    Im looking for the cheapest way out to get a little sound muffling. I thought about buying a pair of headphones and using 3 penny nails to secure them to my NN's head.
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-27-2011 at 11:12 AM.

I thought about buying a pair of headphones and using 3 penny nails to secure them to my NN's head.

Allen is your garage insulated at all? If not, that in itself would be a worthy investment just in heating and cooling savings alone. That said, If you have the doors and windows shut and he isnt complaining about the noise I would just do that.
    You might think about some 4x8 rigid foam sheets for in front of your garage door but have them do dual purpose. Frame each one and then hinge the panels in such a way as you can reconfigure them as a finish booth when needed. At least they will serve a purpose more than blocking out your neigbors screams

insulating is one of my considerations.
    It will muffle the sound coming out and will serve another purpose.

Rich-I will not ever spray in my garage, even though I purchased a spray gun.
    I have a cousin who is a building inspector/code enforcement agent for another city and he told me once they catch you spraying laquer they can really walk in and by law shut you down if you dont have proper ventilation and areas and whatever else all the laws require.
    Noise is one thing, breaking codes and laws issued by everyone regarding chemicals, is a whole other ball game.

Im going through woodworking withdrawal.
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-27-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Allen

I don't know if this will help, but I had 2 issues with my garage door.

One was the heat baking through the door, as well as cold coming through.

Second was the noise level.

I bought 2 sheets of this at the Borg

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

Cut it to size to fit into each panel, with the reflective side facing out. I used 3m spray glue to adhere it. 2 sheets did my 16' door without much waste. At the same time I put up some Garage door molding on both sides and the top. This here.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

These 2 things cut down the noise level, but the added factor was the fact that the garage is cooler in the summer, and warmer (a lot) in the winter months.

Hope this helps
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

Allen you dont necessarily have to be spraying to use that set up for a finishing area. Just the fact you could use it as a partition and enclose it with plastic sheeting just to keep it as a "clean" area when you do any finishing to keep the dust off.
    Also, correct me if I am wrong but many of the waterbornes are not considered hazmat like the solvent based products are. Up here in Ma. I have a couple of friends with shops and they said they didnt have to have a dedicated spray booth or permit as long as they were using waterbased non flammable. (Again I am hearing this from the people doing it not from the chemical police)
    I spray all the time at my house here but I only use waterborne. All this spring and summer I have actually been spraying outside in plain view of all and had no complaints..... Not that that means much.
    Anyway just my 2 cents there. Besides you shouldnt use flammables in the house or garage for finish anyway without the proper safety equipment. And most waterbornes have very low odor and dry quickly so you dont have to shut the shop down for the day to apply them.