Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The sky is falling, run qiuck

The sky is falling, run qiuck

OK it is not that bad, but I did get a mailer from my local Woodcraft today. They are closing their doors.

Now on top of saving up for a new tablesaw, I have to figure in for extra gas money. Will the madness never end?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

If there closing they may be selling stuff cheap.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

75% off August 1st. I was just there the other day and noticed stock was low. What they will have left by next Monday won't be much. And finals start next Monday, so I will miss out.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Since Woodcraft is a franchise like mc donalds why not take it over Steve? Then you can get all your toys for cost!!

Had the same thing happen here, with added effect that I lost my job. (worked there)

Your feelings hit home with me. Since the stores ARE Franchises, they have to stand on their own. Our location had a GOOD variety of tools and the other things needed to support woodworkers.

Our problem was that some customers would only come in for sales and also came in to look around, but bought off the internet to save the sales taxes.

For the last two years, our owner poured money into the business, to keep the doors open. Finally, he decided to cut his losses. There were two stores in town. The other is more into flooring, so the inventory mix is different; meaning that we have to spend more on the internet, to be able to get what we needed.

My belief is that we Have to Support our local businesses, or it will be like frontier days, where you sent away for everything and got No local support.

One of the last things that happened really had my head spining. Our shop work rate was $35.00 per hour. (Planning, sanding,custom work, etc. for small jobs, we do them free, for our customers) I got a call from a guy that wanted 200 8' oak boards planed and sized. I told him our rate and he went ballistic. I asked him if he had bought the wood from us and he said no, our price was a nickel high per bd/ft. I broke a cardinal rule of mine. "Is the bad press he will spread around worth it. Usually the answer is NO!

But since I already knew we were closing in two weeks, I said to my self - Heck Yes - and said, take it back to where you bought it, to which he replyed. "They don't offer that service."

Sorry for your loss.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Although I found the Woodcraft in Allentown to be a bunch of swell fella's and helpful, its lack of inventory was a dissapointment.
    But I dont blame them.
    I went there for a Router, and some bessey clamps.
    They didnt have anything I wanted.
    It really makes no sense since I can get it online from woodcraft and wait for a shipping special.
    I dont blame the owners for closing, they cant be expected to stock every new item and every old item, there are just too many of them.
    The only way I see Woodcraft retailers making it, is by becoming a catalog type of store. Where they are given one of everything, and it can be touched and played with by all who are interested, then ordered and shipped to home.
    The sales people can help make decisions using their experience and combining it with the needs of the customer.
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-27-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Bruce, when I went in, I carried something out. Small or large. I really didn't want that store to go. People need to understand, if the little guy can't make some profit, he won't be there when you need him. Now mine is gone.

Rich, that was actually a thought. I talked to a guy that could have funded it, but the distance from our houses, plus others nixed the deal.

I think the stores are a good idea, yet hard to compete with the parent company's catalog. I loved the concept, it is where I went to learn to turn my first pen. Look at the trouble that has created for this ole world!!!! I felt bad for my guy, he cashed in his retirement for his store and so I assume, his going under meant he lost his retirement and is back at the grind. He ran a good store, but the economy ate a lot of businesses.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I looked into the franchise a few years back. The amount of overhead you had was just enormous.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ďboo.Ē Ė Robert Brault

The guys that had the franchise here went independent and opened up their own store. The big problem I think they had was being able to get access to some of the products they used to sell. I.e. distributor type agreements and such are much easier for a company like WC, than for a small independent.

I try and visit them once a month, but there really isn't that much I need, and they really don't have that great of prices... It's got to be tough to be in that situation....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash