Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Remove pallet without hoist

How Remove pallet without hoist

I have a reasonably large bandsaw sitting in my garage. It is sitting on a pallet. Is there a way to remove it from the pallet and set it on the floor without using a hoist of any sort?

There are times when I can get three strong neighbors to help. However, that depends on the phase of the moon and what form of mind "Murphy" is in. I would like to do it with one strong neighbor and one 100+ lb weakling (me). Has anyone done this? If so, how?

To be specific the saw is a Grizzly GO135 x2. The table is still off of the machine.

Thanks in advance and Enjoy,

Jim

ps. Griz left a "Closeouts" catalog with me. There are some awesome prices in there. If you don't have the "closeouts" catalog, get one.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Jim
    Leverage and blocking..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q2...eature=related

Band saw is a piece of cake. I have put centrifuges on and off of pallets with nothing more than a pry bar and several 2x4's for blocking. I used another person to place the blocking...

Good luck!
    Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 07-28-2011 at 06:27 AM.

How Remove pallet without hoist

Jim,

You already have the blocking you will need (the pallet). Get your helpers and cut the pallet into a few pieces so the last intact piece is the back part of the pallet. Have your helpers tile the saw straight toward the back (away from the table) until you can remove most all of that pallet, except the portion at the back, which the saw is now standing on. Lower the front of the saw to the floor carefully and get the helpers to tilt the back of the saw forward so you can remove that remaining portion of the pallet. Lower the back of the saw to the floor, and you are done. Piece a cake.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

two people either side and walk it off the pallet. rock, twist, rock, twist the other direction until one end can safely lean against the floor then tip just enough to slide or kick the pallet out from under it. Dont let Rube Goldberg into your shop!

I recently did this with a Grizzly G0514X2B- two of us tilted it on its side, unpacked/unpalletted it and then tilted it back up.

Well, there you have it, a host of ideas, good all of them!
    I was just going to say round up Glen.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

My shop's in the backyard, so I needed to get my jointer and planer on a hand truck to get it into the shop. I just built a little ramp, put the hand truck on the pallet and got it under the jointer, then rolled it off the pallet. Worked pretty well. The jointer bed was a handful, the mass was so low to the ground I could barely pull the handtruck back on its wheels

You can also walk it to the edge of the pallet, tip it over the edge onto a block on the ground. Tilt it over until all the weight is on the block about 1/2 the height of the pallet, move the pallet and set that side on the ground. Tilt away from the block, slide the block out and set it down.

For my G0453Z planer, I built a small ramp that lead from the height of the pallet down to the floor over about 30" of travel (a nice gentle slope). A friend and I then "walked" the machine down the ramp; tilted to one corner, swiveled, tilted to the other corner and swiveled.

The swiveling was more of a dragging; we leaned the weight off one corner enough to slide it forward and then leaned our weight toward the other corner and dragged the "lighter" corner forward, etc.. End result was that we made it to the ground very quickly and safely. Now, once on the ground, how are you going to get your mobile base on it?

P.s. Jeb's second paragraph describes how I have done this on another machine but, it had a very low center of gravity. If that bandsaw starts to get away from you during a tilting operation, you will wish you had gone to the rental yard and rented a hoist (about $30) ;-) I recall another individual how had his Griz bandsaw make an unplanned horizontal landing; he sent it down the road.

P.s. I know one of your sons will be in your garage August 11th. You could ask the other one to come down . . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thank You All,

The part that gives me apprehension is that the pallet is the same size as the base. Slide it back 1/4 inch and the spine side is off of the pallet.

What I have set up is: I put a 4 x 4 across two 2 x 6 joists. I attached a two pulley block and tackle to it. Went out and purchased some polypropaline rope rated at 215 pounds (Rope will have to hold 147 pounds). I have some muscle showing up in the morning. Lowe's and Home Depot have a really lousy selection of rope unless you want it for clothes line or for boating.

I am hoping that the muscle and I can take the pressure off of the feet with the block and tackle while the Love Of My Life removes the pallet. (I will tie a rope to the pallet so she does not have to get close.)

If that seems too spooky, I will try Glenn's ramp. And if that seems too spooky,
    I can get two sets of muscle (+ my fraction of a muscle) on Saturday.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Thank You All,

The part that gives me apprehension is that the pallet is the same size as the base. Slide it back 1/4 inch and the spine side is off of the pallet.

What I have set up is: I put a 4 x 4 across two 2 x 6 joists. I attached a two pulley block and tackle to it. Went out and purchased some polypropaline rope rated at 215 pounds (Rope will have to hold 147 pounds). I have some muscle showing up in the morning. Lowe's and Home Depot have a really lousy selection of rope unless you want it for clothes line or for boating.

I am hoping that the muscle and I can take the pressure off of the feet with the block and tackle while the Love Of My Life removes the pallet. (I will tie a rope to the pallet so she does not have to get close.)

If that seems too spooky, I will try Glenn's ramp. And if that seems too spooky,
    I can get two sets of muscle (+ my fraction of a muscle) on Saturday.

Enjoy,

Jim
    hey glenn,, this has a tint of stubborness in it i think i am man i can do this be careful jim leverage is your freind but can also be your enemy..get help in the form of hoist or people
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!