Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is something like this available?

Question Is something like this available?

I am not a total newbie to turning - first turned on (and probably ruined) my Dad's lathe when I had to pull up a Pepsi case to reach the on/off switch. I've been turning spinning tops recently and would really like to find a chuck similar to a drill press chuck that would screw onto the headstock (approximately 1/2 inch opening only).

Before I begin a fruitless search, has anyone ever seen something like this? I have a regular drill chuck but need the tailstock in place to use it on the headstock.

Is this what you're looking for?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3975
    George

Hi Sandy, Welcome!

I find the drill chuck on a #2MT is a VERY useful addition to the lathe, there are a lot of things you can do with it. One point of caution, when you use it on the headstock of the lathe, in use it can and will come out of the headstock (as it slides into the MT as the drive center does).

You need a draw bar to use the drill chuck on the headstock safely.

What this is (in my case anyway) is just a long threaded rod (we used to call in "Ready-Rod") that threads into the back of the drill chuck and then has a nut or knob on the outside of the headstock, the back side of the head stock, I guess.

Make sense?

here is a pic I found online

Attachment 5434

That was from here

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/accs.htm

You say something about a drill chuck "Screwing onto the headstock"

Well I'm not sure what you mean, but a normal lathe chuck screws on, but the drill chucks that I've seen, they go onto a shaft that has a MT#2 on it and slide into the taper on the headstock end or the tailstock.

If you have a drill chuck on your drill press that is a MT#2, and you have a MT#2 on your lathe, you can just use the same drill chuck for both.

Hope this help, if you need more of an explanation, ask, and I'll take some pics to help with my poor description!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

As everyone is showing you, they are there and not too expensive. Most all of them will diclaimer to use on the tailstock only... But I have used mine in the headstock as well... Not yet harmed or dead from the experience but I guess it is a safety thingy but I don't know why.

Stuart is right, they are designed for a #1 or #2 Morris Taper and fit in the tapered hole of the Spindle or the Tailstock (inplace of the cup center or the spur center. Depends on the lathe manufacturer. I have mine on a #1 Taper because my lathe takes #1. Sears has them to fit #1 Rockler, WWers Supply, & WoodCraft all have #2 I think Grizzly has both(?)
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 03-01-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Drill Chucks

Appreciate everyone's comments. I have two separate chucks (drill type) that fit on a Morse taper. However, you have to have the tailstock in place to be able to use them on the headstock. I'm really looking for some kind small chuck that will screw onto the headstock and will hold something as small as 1/2". My Nova chuck, for instance, will only close to about a 2" diameter.

For the application I'm doing, a center on the tailstock will help hold the drill chuck on the Morse taper in place, however I need a bit more freedom and space than this will allow.

Thanks everyone - I'll keep pondering and searching.

Stuart - your suggestion is close to what I had in mind. However, it appears that the chuck is just slid onto the Morse taper . . . the screw rod holds the Morse taper in place. The chuck, then, could still come lose (and probably would) unless the chuck was permanently secured to the Morse taper. I may just need to get out my welding equipment and fabricate my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Appreciate everyone's comments. I have two separate chucks (drill type) that fit on a Morse taper. However, you have to have the tailstock in place to be able to use them on the headstock. I'm really looking for some kind small chuck that will screw onto the headstock and will hold something as small as 1/2". My Nova chuck, for instance, will only close to about a 2" diameter.

For the application I'm doing, a center on the tailstock will help hold the drill chuck on the Morse taper in place, however I need a bit more freedom and space than this will allow.

Thanks everyone - I'll keep pondering and searching.
    Do you have a Morse taper in your headstock? What kind of lathe do you have?
    If you do have the MT, what has been suggested is probably your best way to go. But, do read product descriptions carefully. There are Jacobs-type chucks which are best at holding steel, as with drill bits. Then there are Jacobs-type whice are designed for holding round wood. The shape of the jaws is the difference.

Sandy, what kind of lathe do you have?

OK, here you go, this is what I have/use.........

Attachment 5459
    Here is is assembled like it would be in the lathe

Attachment 5460
    A closer look at the parts

Attachment 5461
    This is the draw-bar, there is a thick piece of plywood as a spacer, or washer, and then two knobs. The knob on the end is for tightening the draw-bar into the threaded hole in the MT#2 attachment.
    The second knob is for tightening the draw bar against the wooden block, this pulls the MT#2 attachment, which holds the drill chuck, into the headstock of the lathe

Attachment 5462
    Here is the drill chuck, with the MT#2 attachment

Attachment 5463
    Here is the MT#2 attachment removed from the drill chuck

Attachment 5464
    Here the draw-bar is threaded into the MT#2 but the 2nd knob is not tightend up yet.

Attachment 5465
    Here it is, the 2nd knob is tightened against the plywood block, drawing the MT#2 attachment, to which the drill chuck is attached, into the headstock.

Used like this, I think it is very save.

If you want to grip smaller stuff, and you have a Nova chuck, you could get the "Pin Jaws" for the chuck, these will hold small stuff.

Attachment 5467
    A set of Pin Jaws for the Nova Chucks.........

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sandy........I use a jacobs chuck/dp chuck on my Jet Mini. The chuck is attached to a #2 Morse taper. I put it into the headstock and as Stu recommended insert a piece of allthread or a long 1/4-20 bolt through the hole in the hand wheel and headstock and screw it into the Morse taper. I have a washer and wingnut on the bolt. I then tighten the wing nut up against the washer which is next to the handwheel. This captures the #2 Morse taper and thus the chuck to the headstock and it can't come out.

I don't remember how much I paid for the chuck, the Morse taper and the bolt, wingnut and washer...but it wasn't much as turning tools go

If you have a Morse taper take some very fine grit sand paper & clean it out & the same for the chuck taper & then place the Morse taper of the chuck into the head stock taper & give it a rap with a wooden mallet it should stay in the taper with no problem. You should have to use a rod through the head stock from the back side & tap on the end of the rod to remove the chuck.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart