Memories....

Rich Soby

Sitting here having a bowl of bananas and cream.... Reminds me of summers at a cottage on the seashore that my grandparents would rent every summer when I was little. Sitting out on the porch with my grandmother, no one else awake yet, watching the sunrise over the bay and the world waking up. Her having her prunes and a hot cup of Postum and me with toast and a bowl of bananas and cream. Chatting quietly so as to not wake anybody up....
Boy I miss her and those days.....

What are some of the fond memories you folks have of those days, and what today causes you to take pause and go back to those times?

Breaking dawn over the African bush Rich and the smell of a fire made from wood i do not know its name but its smell is distintively African even if you go up to the equator. When the sun rises over those acacia trees....oh boy that put a tear in my eyes I wish that place was less fraught with conflict.:(:eek:

One word takes me back...'Grandpa'
Here's a little tune I created and a foto-flick video to go with it...
I've included the lyrics{below the video link} as my vocal skills 'lack' to say the least :rofl:

[URL=http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/KennysShots/?action=view&current=IRecallGrandpa.mp4][/URL]

I recall, going to my Grandpa's
I recall, sitting on his knee
I recall, moments that I treasure
Grandpa...Thanks for loving me

I recall, swimming in the creek
I recall, playing hide and seek
I recall, walking thru the woods
Grandpa...I wish that we still could

Chorus
Your the one, who made me what I am
Your the one, who always gave a damn
Grandpa I hope you see, what your love has done for me

I recall, that old tire swing
I recall, how much you loved to sing
I recall, the love within your gaze
Grandpa...I cherish all those days

I recall, the day you passed away
I recall, the wink you sent my way
I recall, you said you had to go
Grandpa...I want you to know

One word takes me back...'Grandpa'
Here's a little tune I created and a foto-flick video to go with it...
I've included the lyrics{below the video link} as my vocal skills 'lack' to say the least :rofl:

[URL=http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/KennysShots/?action=view&current=IRecallGrandpa.mp4][/URL]

I recall, going to my Grandpa's
I recall, sitting on his knee
I recall, moments that I treasure
Grandpa...Thanks for loving me

I recall, swimming in the creek
I recall, playing hide and seek
I recall, walking thru the woods
Grandpa...I wish that we still could

Chorus
Your the one, who made me what I am
Your the one, who always gave a damn
Grandpa I hope you see, what your love has done for me

I recall, that old tire swing
I recall, how much you loved to sing
I recall, the love within your gaze
Grandpa...I cherish all those days

I recall, the day you passed away
I recall, the wink you sent my way
I recall, you said you had to go
Grandpa...I want you to know

tha's beautiful but how come it gets all blurry towards the end...... :D

O man sitting along the river with my grandfather Daddy Jim fishing. Riding along with him to the fire house and playing on the slide pole.
and , can't for get the smell of Diesel in the morning rising up from the village through the valley through the camp in Korea on chilly morning. :eek:

I have great memories of sitting in my grandfathers' dirt floor basement and watching him fix clocks or cane chairs. He did a lot of repair work. Whenever I see a broken clock or chair that needs recaning I think of him. He died when I was 12-not enough time to learn much. His wife-my grandmother-made her own bread all her life. The smell of fresh baked bread reminds me of her.

Ah, I hadn't thought of Postum in years. One of my grandmas use to drink it every morning, also with her prunes. Nowadays grandmas are probably having a decaf and a bran muffin instead.

Best memories are any day I spent with my Dad. He passed away in 1969 at 52 yrs old I was 19.

Especially fishing and swimming with him on the Saco river in Bartlett. Had a secret swimming and fishing spot underneath an old RR bridge. We called it the "second iron" because it was the second bridge to cross the river.
We had an old frying pan and little "nip" bottles filled with oil. We cleaned the fish and cooked them and talked for hours. Learned a lot from my Dad in the short time I knew him. I still think of him and my Mom too, every single day.

Great song Ken. Think I need a Kleenex though.

I've gotta say I've never heard of Postum. :huh:

My best memories are the smell of my grandma's fresh bread and my grandpa's buttered popcorn...mmmmmmm:)

That song always got to me. I have a disc in my shop that I copied a bunch of old favorite songs on. I hit the random button on the player and just hum along. The day I had to put my German Shepard down that song was the first one that came on. :(

Now, go watch "Old Yeller" and have one for me. ;)

Here...let me bring you guys a few tissues...

RobotLGV.jpg

I grabbed a pallet for myself, too. :rolleyes: :p

I get yelled at and almost killed at my very suggestion now and then to watch "Where the Red Fern Grows" again. He had never heard of it before and was ready to strangle me afterwards. :rofl::rofl::huh:

I love my memories, of visiting my grandparents (mom's side) in western Colorado every summer. We'd dig earthworms out of his garden, spend the day fishing along the rivers in the mountains.

I loved having trout for breakfast the next morning. Oh, the good ole' days :wave::wave:

I have had a few dogs one which her name was Fox, "Foxy Lady" Once when we were down on the C&O canal a park cop came up to me and said : you need to put your dog on a leash and I snapped my finger and pointed to my side and Fox was right their sitting. I told him it also says or by command. He was well done and road his horse on up the canal. She hitch hitched crossed the country with me when to college with me, won a Frisbee championship one evening before the fireworks on a 4th of July. died at 17. She was my best friend. I still get terry eyed thinking of her.
Thanks the the tissue Vaughn. :wave: