Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Step Stool

Making a Step Stool

I just completed a tutorial on making a step stool. While this might seem elementary, when the legs splay out (as they should) the project gets a bit complex calculating the angles to cut, and actually cutting them, so everything fits together well.

Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Step-stool-033.jpg   Step-stool-034.jpg  
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'd hate to step on such a gorgeous step stool. Thanks for the tutorial Mike.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

What Mohammad Said.

Not sure I'd make that nice of a step stool, but I do have some other applications for the calculations.

Great job!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Those four legs and stretchers look like they came right out of the tree trunk. Seamless! That is a fabulous piece of furniture!!

Maybe you could sell your tutorial to Cynthia!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Maybe you could sell your tutorial to Cynthia!!
    I read her posting and though about mentioning this project to her. But with the calculations required, and the number of tools necessary to do the project, I felt it would not fit as an "easy" project. For an experienced woodworker it would not be hard, but for a beginner there might be a number of places where frustrating mistakes could be made.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    What Mohammad Said.

Not sure I'd make that nice of a step stool, but I do have some other applications for the calculations.

Great job!
    If you need a spreadsheet with the calculations, send me your e-mail address.

Mike
    Ancora imparo

That's great Mike! I like the way you were able to make the legs like like it all came from one piece of wood.

Question on your finish. I see you using the bullseye shellac with waterborne. Have you ever had any adhesion problems or crazing of the finish with it?
    I have been told by both Target and GF that there have been issues using that as opposed to mixing dewaxed from flake. Something about Zinser fiddling with the alkalinity causing the two products to not play nicely with each other.

Much too nice for anyone to put their feet on!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post
    That's great Mike! I like the way you were able to make the legs like like it all came from one piece of wood.

Question on your finish. I see you using the bullseye shellac with waterborne. Have you ever had any adhesion problems or crazing of the finish with it?
    I have been told by both Target and GF that there have been issues using that as opposed to mixing dewaxed from flake. Something about Zinser fiddling with the alkalinity causing the two products to not play nicely with each other.
    No, never had any problem with using Zinser dewaxed shellac. I use Target water borne lacquer and it's always worked well for me. Of course, I let the shellac cure well before applying the lacquer.

I've never even heard of any problems with using dewaxed shellac. Does Target have anything on their web site about it? If they consider it a serious problem I would assume they would post something about it.

Mike

[added comment: the reason I use shellac is to get the orange color. Water borne lacquer is just too clear - or white. The wood doesn't look right with just that on it.]
    Ancora imparo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If you need a spreadsheet with the calculations, send me your e-mail address.

Mike
    PM Sent. I'd love to have that spreadsheet! Thanks!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash