Dedicated or combo OS sander?

Jeff Horton

Looking for some input. I have to replace a dead OSS in the shop. Scouring the net for a used, preferably old cast iron OSS. If you have ever looked they are not common at all. I ran upon a used combo machine. ShopFox belt and and OSS in one. Decent deal, not great but I need one soon and this is local.

I have a belt sander so I don't need this one but it could replace my old one. My concern is will I regret buying a combo machine? Obviously this has a smaller spindle table than a dedicate. Spindle size is limited to 1-1/2", 2", and 3". I use a 1" or 1-1/2 spindle most of the time but sometimes a small one is handy but not a deal breaker. Might be able to adapt it to a 1", not sure. The small table I have real concerns about

Plus side I like the oscillating belt sander. My old Acme doesn't oscillate and it doesn't have a tilting table which there have been a couple of times I wished it did. I do use the belt sander a good bit. A little more than the spindle but the spindle sander is more important to me.

No one knows what I need to do better than me, so give me some food for thought here.

Last edited:
Actually, that might not be a bad option. I have a router in my table saw extension and today while swapping out my routers (which are preset) I was thinking that it would be nice to have a drop in a sander.

Had totally forgotten about these.

Thanks for the reminder. Will look close at this. MUCH cheaper than what I was thinking about.

Doing a little home work and I am going to order the Porter Cable. It's pricey but reviews are excellent and it will fit in my shop and the way I work near perfectly.

Thanks again for reminding about these.

You will like that sander Jeff. I have found it to be very useful both in the shop and in the field. That plate from Rockler made all the difference in the world.

Were you able to find additional spindle sizes for it? They used to have a kit but that seems to have gone by the wayside so to speak. If you do would you mind posting the link here

Thanks and good luck with it!:thumb:

I did a Google Search and saw a couple of places that listed additional spindles, I assumed that was the kit but have not looked at them. Was just looking the sander prices and reviews. I will post what I find though.

If you have Woodpecker router plates, they make one for this spindle sander from time to time. They don't routinely stock it anymore, but did offer a special run not too long ago. But if your router cutout is for another plate size, then this wouldn't help you. Jim.