I actually did some woodworking...

Tom Niemi

Staff member
We have a friend's daughter is expecting next month and tomorrow is a baby shower for her. So I make a cradle for my wifey to gift her and finished it up just a bit ago. I got some great cherry from Larry, did a little sun tan and finished with a couple coats of wipe on poly. I even have a thanks to Ken Werner as I used his tutorial on dent removal:eek: works well Ken:thumb: I over did it in the sun and warped the panels quite a bit but was able to assemble successfully...just hope it stay together:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Cradle 1.jpg
    Cradle 1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Cradle 2.jpg
    Cradle 2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Cradle 3.jpg
    Cradle 3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Cradle 4.jpg
    Cradle 4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Cradle 5.jpg
    Cradle 5.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 55
You know what I like about your projects Tom, It's your wood selection.

Don't get me wrong, you did a fabulous job on the piece, but I get a feeling you spend a bit of time selecting the 'Right' piece of wood for the job. Both with the knot on the footboard, and the little circle in the headboard. Fantastic... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

hey now,, guys dont let his head swell to much .. il et him have free reign in the wood shed.. he wasnt sure what he had but i was:) great job tom looks fine and i bet you dont need to worry one bit now:):thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the nice comments guys:) If you all knew half the issues I had with this:doh: larry saw my issues and believe it or not Larry, you can not see the gaps we saw:). from warped boards, to it falling off my table sa....er assembly table to brads deflecting out the sides, to dents:eek: I am amazed it is complete and in tact:rofl::rofl::rofl:. And yes Larry gave me ALMOST free reign of his wood shed, we did not quite make it to the other barn:p:rofl::rofl::rofl: still found some good stuff:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
There may have been a few bumps along the way, but the cradle came out looking great. Excellent job, Tom. Instant heirloom for sure. :thumb:

Tom, this cradle will be a focus of coversation for years to come. Great job.

I hope Larry will allow me a free reign in his wood shed too, whenever I visit his home.:;)

Dents? What dents? They are gone, man.

I learned to fix 'em, because I've made plenty of them.

Tom, that is a beautiful cradle, one which will be treasured for more than a generation, I am sure. On the subject, did you know that the Shakers made adult sized cradles to comfort their elderly and dying brethren.

On the subject, did you know that the Shakers made adult sized cradles to comfort their elderly and dying brethren.

Funny you say that Ken as when I delivered the cradle, the grandpa asked (jokingly) if I made adult size:p:) Thanks again all, I like making them and gifting them:) Mohammad I think I am ready for some more sweat so come and visit this area:thumb:

Well, maybe Grandpa has something in mind...

Here's a picture of a couple. They are in Hancock Shaker Village, in MA. I think the device in the cradle on the left is a bed warmer, and the one on the right is a bedpan.

Attachments

• adult cradles.jpg
    adult cradles.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 20
sorry, reminds me too much of a casket, I wouldnt want to lay down in a wooden box until my heart stops beating and my brain shuts off, ok, well at least until my heart stops beating.

baby cradles are cute, does not work in the adult version in my opinion.(tom made a beautiful item)

Last edited: