This can't be happening...........

Rich Soby

Someone slap me I must be having a nightmare....

Just got off the phone with my friend that I am building the armoires for.
After spending most of a day driving up to the supply house and hand picking all the cherry for the project,making sure it was all color matched and almost no sapwood.... his wife has decided to paint them.............
I told him to think of another project he could use this on and to get some soft maple if she wants it painted but he won't spring for it.....
He told me not to let it "ruin my day...."
AArrrrggghhhhh...... worst part about this is that I am the one that will have to paint it....... :eek::eek::eek::eek::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

save the cherry and buy the soft maple your self and then someday when some one wants something special you got some nice cherry already picked out for it.. dont EVER paint cherry it wont take paint good at all:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm telling ya, that room that was built of oak, will be painted some day by some brain dead decorator. At least they told you in advance, just think if you had delivered and they said, leave them in the garage, we got to paint them first. I'd charge them the cherry and half the price of poplar and build them out of poplar and paint.

As peeved as I am right now about this. I could never charge someone like that, especially a friend, and a friend who has given me a lot of referrals.
What gets my goat is that when he and I were discussing this we originally talked cherry because that is what his kitchen is and some counters I built for him as well as his masterbath cabinets. He balked at the cost when I first proposed it to him. I then suggested he go with a painted cabinet. "Oh no! If I am going to do this I am going to do it right and painted just wont work"

ok.....
Then he mulled it over, talke with his wife, came back to me with more questions, the cabinet evolved, drawers were added, a door for the closet to match was added.....
I even got the "I can picture exactly how its going to look!" statement...
The other day he and I were making test pieces with dye to try and get the color the way he wanted, I ordered a sample of water clear as well as the endurovar to show him the difference...
Today I call him to ask him a question and he drops this one on me in a "oh by the way...." then he told me not to let it ruin my day..... too late for that one....
Ahh if that is what she wants well they are writing the checks so......

It's just the principle of it all. Like putting ketchup on escargot......

I tried to get him to spring for soft maple and use the cherry on something else but to no avail.... real bummer too as there are a lot of nice quilted pieces in this batch and a lot of nice character.................

I tried to get him to spring for soft maple and use the cherry on something else but to no avail.... real bummer too as there are a lot of nice quilted pieces in this batch and a lot of nice character.................

Keep the cherry. Buy the poplar or maple and paint it. Adjust your fee if you so choose but, why, why, use the cherry. It makes no sense unless the interior is to be unpainted.

Gotta do what you gotta do. They pay for cherry, they get cherry. It's a worst case scenario. Maybe someday someone like Dave Hawksford will get ahold of it and marvel at the craftsmanship and wood selection.

Just think of how many really nice pieces might be out there covered in multiple coats of milk paint?

Definitely take pictures of it before it gets painted.... :thumb: