Somne woodworking .... some gardening...

Great job John...

I live in the country with an acre lot, so have a good sized garden in the front side yard... would rather it be behind the house, but the yard there goes uphill at about 20-25 degree angle... kinda hard to hold the tiller up there... the place where I actually put the garden was an old road bed from years back, so lots of rocks... fortunately most are smaller than a lemon, but still a pain with the tiller.... we've worked it long enough by now that I have at least 10-15% of the bigger rocks gone and the soil has been amended with compost, cow compost, mushroom compost, wood chips and anything else I can think of to amend it with... we get pretty good growth as long as we can get a little rain... it's expensive to try and water a 20x50 garden from city water. We even tried potatoes this year... first time for us and I think they're about ready to dig up, if it's not already past time. Corn didn't do well... too much rain early, Okra is going crazy, LOML put in 18 tomato plants... so far I think she's put up about 30 pints of salsa and about 15 pints of pasta sauce... we eat fresh tomatoes till they're coming out the ears... she has about 6 varieties, Stripies, heirlooms (German queens (they ripen white), Golden delicious (or something Golden.. a yellow tomato that is fantastic), a red tomato just called delicious - well named plus the San Marino's that she's canning. Plus we have half a dozen volunteers that keep coming up around the yard... Our beans didn't do so well this year... they were supposed to be pole beans, but weren't and didn't make many beans... Squash plants only once survived, Zuchinni's grow from 2 inches to 2 feet over night... She put out Japanese egg plants that are fantastic... and we've got peppers coming out our ears also... lots of ancho's, jalapenos and anncinni's (sp?).... we're even growing celery this year...

I'm thinking this is too much garden for us - only two of us - and so next year I'm thinking about putting in some raised beds... it'll make it easier to keep the garden weeded and maybe restrict how much she wants to plant..:)