Thread: Finished Pembrook table

Finished Pembrook table

This table is 1790's ish made most likely in Fredrick Md with Georgian influence as seen in the Georgian pine side supports. This was taken down to raw , replaced some broken wood trim , half rounds over the hinges, replaced veneer and marquetry trim on lower legs. The I did a Tong oil hand rubbed finish and waxed. I am very pleased with this nice little table. It has a value of 7-8K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000010.JPG   P1000011.JPG   P1000013.JPG   P1010388.JPG   P1010389.JPG  

P1010391.JPG   P1010392.JPG  
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Beautiful! you really brought it back!! The client must be very happy with the final results

It is on route to it home right now. I will know soon enough. Thanks Rich.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

Wow, what a transformation
    Faith, Hope & Charity

The customer is a new customer and he was so pleased you should see what he sent Jarrod back with. I'll get the pic's up soon.

Do you give clients before and after pictures? I know they see the difference when you return the piece, but you know the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words.

That looks great Dave.

Question, How do you know when to do that kind of work, I.e. strip it all down and redo large parts of it? So often you hear about people (Generally rank amateurs) that totally destroy the value of a piece by refinishing something. Granted, they probably do it 'wrong', but still, just wondering.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent very seldom and I mean very seldom you will find a period piece of furniture that has not been stripped or had work done to it. This piece had no finish on it, sun damage and just neglected. So to save it and some value I had to do a total preservation job to the piece. Each piece is different. Most old pieces that do have the original finish will have years of dirt imbedded in the finish and pulling the dirt out and retaining the original finish it tricky but done with chemicals to remove the top few layers pull the dirt out and leave the finish intact. But more often then not caring for a piece that has been neglected even if redoing the entire piece will save some of the value instead of letting it just die.

Take 8 chairs for instant, if you are missing one of the 8 chair set and their period you can take a piece from each remaining chair to make one whole chair and then make the piece for each chair you removed a piece from and you will still retain the 100% value for the chairs and the set. As long as 3/4 of the chair is still original you have 100% value.
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 08-03-2011 at 06:06 PM.