Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: successful failure

Mountain Home, Arkansas

successful failure

Tried something new for me. Nothing went right. One of my visiting twin grandsons, age 11, said he wanted a new Harry Potter wand. Good, steps in Grandpa offering to make one. I planned on something different. That is what we ended up with. But good? Not even close. I choose a hunk of wood labeled 'olive'. My plan was to make a nice looking wand with wiggles and squiggles from offset turning. We had an offset demo at my last turning club meeting. It looked doable. First problem. The wood is no way olive. I don't know what it is other than impossibly hard. I wasn't going to wrassle all day with it so just decided to experiment with the offset thing. First thing I learned was that speeds much faster than our club demonstrator used are necessary. At slow speeds I just got a lot of "clunk-clunks" and catches. At high speeds it is more like normal turning but with care given to watching the 'shadow' using a light touch. I definitely will do more offset turning it is no longer the mystery it was before yesterday. I didn't turn down slender, this thing is pretty clunky. And, I didn't think he would want it so it definitely isn't a braggin' piece, I figured I would keep in the shop as a bonker or something. I still don't know what kind of wood this is other than granite hard. Might be left over Bradford Pear from past projects. That wood when dried is very-very hard. Oh, did I mention, the grandson likes it and wants to keep. Go figger. I guess as big as it is it will have the power to overcome Lord Valdemort.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Los Angeles, CA
    shadow turning can be fun. I have tried it once and enjoyed it.

This wand has a very unique and un-wandish look but I like it.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Ya did good! Looks like a wand to me.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Goodland, Kansas
    Ya did good Frank.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

North West Indiana
    It doesn't matter what we think, grandson wanted it and will cherish/use it. Good job Gramps!!!!!!
    See, to me, the thing is, you took time, that is something most of our kids don't have in their life, an adult that will take time for them. That is why gangs work so well. As cruel as they are, each member knows they are part of the group.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    That is a great post Frank. You cheered my day. I'm glad your grandson is happy.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Frank i think you did real good as the young one loves it, that's all that counts

Amherst, New Hampshire
    If you don't get a job making wands maybe you can get one making camshafts

I'm sure your grandkids are like mine. The love anything grandpa makes. I think it looks pretty cool
    Faith, Hope & Charity

ABQ NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    It doesn't matter what we think, grandson wanted it and will cherish/use it. Good job Gramps!!!!!!...

Good to see you getting some shop time, Frank.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    I think the wand is supposed to pick the users, so if you did not like it, but the grandson does, there you go
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward